Elaborating a scheme for mine methane capturing while developing coal gas seams
Yevhenii Koroviaka1, Jan Pinka2, Svitlana Tymchenko1, Valerii Rastsvietaiev1, Vitalii Astakhov3, Olena Dmytruk3
1Dnipro University of Technology, Dnipro, 49005, Ukraine
2Technical University of Kosice, Kosice, 04200, Slovakia
3LLC “Avior-Dnipro”, Dnipro, 49033, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2020, 14(3):21-27
Full text (PDF)
Purpose is to substantiate and develop an efficient scheme of coalmine methane capture while preparing and developing gassy coal seams.
Methods. Critical analysis of literature sources has been carried out; practice of applying the known schemes of coalmine methane capture for its further use has been systematized. Analysis and selection of theoretical substantiation of a new coalmine methane capture scheme have been performed taking into consideration the parameters of preparation and deve-lopment of gassy coal seams. Methods of mathematical analysis have been applied to describe the dependence of gamma distribution of the continuous random variable of gas emission intensity on the distance to a stope.
Findings. A scheme of coal mass degassing has been improved; that scheme helps increase degassing degree and eliminate colliery gas, including methane, in terms of specific arrangement of wells and introduction of new technological operations and parameters. The developed scheme takes into consideration physical and mathematical properties of rocks to increase the volume of produced gas along with the reduced total mining costs. Mathematical modeling has made it possible to define that the density function coincides maximally with the experimental and practical graph of dependence of gas emission intensity on the distance to a stope.
Originality.Analytical dependences have been specified making it possible to evaluate rational range of the depth of degassing gas outlet wells and the distance between them according to the proposed scheme of their arrangement within the extraction pillar.
Practical implications. The proposed scheme of coal mass degassing allows controlling coalmine methane extraction including special preparatory operations. It helps widen a range of effective application of the system for colliery gas extraction and reduce the time for preparatory degassing operations; that favours both rising stope output and the associated coalmine methane recovery with the corresponding increase in energy saving and safety during mining operations.
Keywords: capture, methane, coal seam, degassing, coal mass, well
- Korovyaka, Ye.A., Vasilenko, Ye.А., & Manukyan, E.S. (2014). Regeneration of methane released from landfills, and possibility of its utilization in Dnipropetrovs’k region. Heotekhnichna Mekhanika, (117), 215-224.
- Korovyaka, Ye., Astakhov, V., & Manukyan, E. (2014). Perspectives of mine methane extraction in conditions of Donets’k gas-coal basin. Progressive Technologies of Coal, Coalbed Methane, and Ores Mining, 311-316.
- Koroviaka, Ye., Rastsvietaiev, V., Dmytruk, O., & Tykhonenko, V. (2017). Prospects to use biogas of refuse dams of Dnipropetrovsk region (Ukraine) as alternative energy carrier. Mechanics, Materials Science & Engineering, (11), 1-9.https://doi.org/10.2412/mmse.40.34.18
- Medunić, G., Mondol, D., Rađenović, A., & Nazir, S. (2018). Review of the latest research on coal, environment, and clean technologies. Rudarsko Geolosko Naftni Zbornik, 33(3), 13-21.https://doi.org/10.17794/rgn.2018.3.2
- Zubkova, V., Strojwas, A., Bielecki, M., Kieush, L., & Koverya, A. (2019). Comparative study of pyrolytic behavior of the biomass wastes originating in the Ukraine and potential application of such biomass. Part 1. Analysis of the course of pyrolysis process and the composition of formed products. Fuel, (254), 115688. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2019.115688
- Nosić, A., Karasalihović Sedlar, D., & Jukić, L. (2017). Oil and gas futures and options market. Rudarsko Geolosko Naftni Zbornik, 32(4), 45-54.https://doi.org/10.17794/rgn.2017.4.5
- Saik, P., Petlovanyi, M., Lozynskyi, V., Sai, K., & Merzlikin, A. (2018). Innovative approach to the integrated use of energy resources of underground coal gasification. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 221-231.https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.277.221
- Lozynskyi, V.G., Dychkovskyi, R.O., Falshtynskyi, V.S., Saik, P.B., & Malanchuk, Ye.Z. (2016). Experimental study of the influence of crossing the disjunctive geological faults on thermal regime of underground gasifier. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (5), 21-29.
- Bondarenko, V., Lozynskyi, V., Sai, K., & Anikushyna, K. (2015). An overview and prospectives of practical application of the biomass gasification technology in Ukraine. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 27-32.https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-6
- Kieush, L. (2019). Coal pyrolysis products utilisation for synthesis of carbon nanotubes. Petroleum and Coal. 61(3), 461-466.
- Kieush, L., Yaholnyk, M., Boyko, M., Koveria, A., & Ihnatenko, V. (2019). Study of biomass utilisation in the iron ore sintering. Acta Metallurgica Slovaca, 25(1), 55.https://doi.org/110.12776/ams.v1i1.1225
- Dudlia, M., Pinka, J., Dudlia, K., Rastsvietaiev, V., & Sidorova, M. (2018). Influence of dispersed systems on exploratory well drilling. Solid State Pheno- mena, (277), 44-53.https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.277.44
- Dudlia, M., Sirik, V., Rastsvetaev, V., & Morozova, T. (2014). Rotary drilling system efficiency reserve. Progressive Technologies of Coal, Coalbed Methane, and Ores Mining, 123-129.
- Sidorova, M., Cizek, P., Galant, Y., & Pinka, J. (2017). New thoughts on the prospects of petroleum potential in the eger rift. Archives of Mining Sciences, 62(1), 203-214.https://doi.org/10.1515/amsc-2017-0015
- Sudakov, A., Dreus, A., Kuzin, Y., Sudakova, D., Ratov, B., & Khomenko, O. (2019). A thermomechanical technology of borehole wall isolation using a thermoplastic composite material. E3S Web of Conferences, (109), 00098.https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201910900098
- Bondarenko, V.I., Kharin, Ye.N., Antoshchenko, N.I., & Gasyuk, R.L. (2013). Basic scientific positions of forecast of the dynamics of methane release when mining the gas bearing coal seams. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (5), 24-30.
- Bondarenko, V., Tabachenko, M., & Wachowicz, J. (2010). Possibility of production complex of sufficient gasses in Ukraine. New Techniques and Technologies in Mining, 113-119.https://doi.org/10.1201/b11329-19
- Pivnyak, G., Dychkovskyi, R., Bobyliov, O., Cabana, E.C., & Smoliński, A. (2018). Mathematical and geomechanical model in physical and chemical processes of underground coal gasification. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/ssp.277.1
- Zapletal, P., Koudelková, J., Zubíček, V., Kráľ, T., & Mokrošová, A. (2018). A new method of gas drainage as a solution for dangerous phenomena in underground coal mines. Rudarsko Geolosko Naftni Zbornik, 33(1), 7-12.https://doi.org/10.17794/rgn.2018.1.2
- Pivnyak, G., Bondarenko, V., Kovalevs’ka, I., & Illiashov, M. (2012). Geomechanical Processes during Underground Mining. London, United Kingdom: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.https://doi.org/10.1201/b13157
- Bondarenko, V., Symanovych, G., & Koval, O. (2012). The mechanism of over-coal thin-layered massif deformation of weak rocks in a longwall. Geomechanical Processes during Underground Mining, 41-44.https://doi.org/10.1201/b13157-8
- Pivnyak, G.G., & Shashenko, O.M. (2015). Innovations and safety for coal mines in Ukraine. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (6), 118-121.
- Miroshkin, G.A., Polyakov, E.V., & Marchenko, V.G. (1992). Application of mark method of measurement in instruments of speed and gas consumption control in mine workings. Fiziko-Tekhnicheskie Problemy Razrabotki Poleznykh Iskopaemykh, (5), 92-97.
- Dеnуshchеnkо, О.V., Shуrіn, А.L., Rаstsvіеtаіеv, V.О., & Chеrnіаіеv, О.V. (2018). Fоrmіng thе structurе оf аutоmаtеd sуstеm tо cоntrоl grоund hеаvу-tуpе rоpеwауs. Scientific Bulletin of the National Mining Universitу, (4), 79-85.
- Golinko, V., Yavors’ka, O., & Lebedev, Y. (2011). Substantiation of the parameters of elements of mine vent systems while exploiting bedded deposits of horizontal occurence. Technical and Geoinformational Systems in Mining, 131-133.https://doi.org/10.1201/b11586-22
- Mukha, O., & Pugach, I. (2014). Substantiation of ventilation parameters and ways of degassing under bleeding of methane. Progressive Technologies of Coal, Coalbed Methane, and Ores Mining, 361-366.https://doi.org/10.1201/b17547-62
- Muha, O., & Pugach, I. (2011). Determination of ventilation and degassing rational parameters at extraction areas of coal mines. Technical and Geoinformational Systems in Mining, 197-200.https://doi.org/10.1201/b17547-62
- Kremenchutskiy, N., Muha, O., & Pugach, I. (2012). Degassing systems rational parameters selection at coal mines. Geomechanical Processes During Underground Mining, 87-93.https://doi.org/10.1201/b13157-15
- SОU 10.1.00174088.001-2004. (2004). Coal mine degassing. Requirements for methods and degassing schemes. Kiev, Ukraina: Ministerstvo uholnoi promyshlennosti Ukrainy.
- Law, B.E. (1998). Basin-centered gas evaluated in Dnieper-Donets basin, Donbas foldbelt, Ukraine. Oil and Gas Journal, 96(47), 74-78.
- Piwniak, G.G., Bondarenko, V.I., Salli, V.I., Pavlenko, I.I., & Dychkovskiy, R.O. (2007). Limits to economic viability of extraction of thin coal seams in Ukraine. Technical, Technological and Economic Aspects of Thin-Seams Coal Mining International Mining Forum 2007, 129-132.https://doi.org/10.1201/noe0415436700.ch16
- Sai, K., Malanchuk, Z., Petlovanyi, M., Saik, P., & Lozynskyi, V. (2019). Research of thermodynamic conditions for gas hydrates formation from methane in the coal mines. Solid State Phenomena, (291), 155-172.https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.291.155
- Nalisko, M., Sobolev, V., Rudakov, D., & Bilan, N. (2019). Assessing safety conditions in underground excavations after a methane-air mixture explosion. E3S Web of Conferences, (123), 01008.https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201912301008
- Lukinov, V., Prykhodchenko, V., Tokar, L., & Prykhodchenko, O. (2014). Mining and geological conditions of methane redistribution within the undermined coal-rock massif. Progressive Technologies of Coal, Coalbed Methane, and Ores Mining, 317-325.https://doi.org/10.1201/b17547-55
- Busygin, B., & Nikulin, S. (2013). Predicting methane accumulation in the Donetsk coal basin (Ukraine) on the basis of geological, geophysical and space data. Energy Efficiency Improvement of Geotechnical Systems, 161-167.https://doi.org/10.1201/b16355-22
- Bezruchko, K., Prykhodchenko, O., & Tokar, L. (2014). Prognosis for free methane traps of structural and tectonic type in Donbas. Progressive Technologies of Coal, Coalbed Methane, and Ores Mining, 267-271.https://doi.org/10.1201/b17547-47
- Korovyaka, Ye.A., Manukyan, E.S., & Vasilenko, Ye.А. (2011). Prospects of shaft methane extraction and utilization in the conditions of mine “Zapadno-Donbaskaya” OAO “Pavlogradugol”. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (4), 39-44.
- DNAOT 1.130-6.09.93. (1994). Guidance to design coal mine ventilation. Kiev, Ukraina: Osnova.
- Bulat, А.F., Zviahilsky, Yu.L., Lukinov, V.V., Iliushenko, V.H., Kolesnikov, V.H., Vynogradov, V.V., Humaniuk, О.М., Kyiashko, Yu.І., Bokii, B.V., Kamyshan, V.V., & Kasymov, О.І. (2003). A technique of coal-bearing rock mass degassing. Patent No. 53259, Ukraine.
- Wang, Z., Ren, Т., & Zhang, L. (2011). Review of gas emission prediction and control methods for multi-seam mining in Chinese coal mines. 1th Underground Coal Operators’ Conference, University of Wollongong & the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 315-325.
- Shyrin, L.N., Rastsvietaiev, V.O., Astakhov, V.S., Koroviaka, Ye.A., Dmytruk, O.O., Manukyan, E.S., Dudlia, K.Ye, Ganushevych, К.А., Cherniaiev, О.V., & Hrytsenko, L.S. (2017). A technique of coal-bearing rock mass degassing. Patent No. 122194, Ukraine.
- Morev, А.М., & Yevseiev, I.I. (1975). Degassing of contiguous seams. Moscow, Russian Federation: Nedra.
- Babets, D. (2018) Rock mass strength estimation using structural factor based on statistical strength theory. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 111-122.https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.277.111
- Shеrbаkоv, P.N., Klуmеnkо, D.V., & Tуmchеnkо, S.Е. (2017). Stаtіstіcаl rеsеаrch оf shоvеl еxcаvаtоr pеrfоrmаncе durіng lоаdіng оf rоck mаss оf dіffеrеnt crushіng quаlіtу. Scientific Bulletin of the National Mining University, (1), 49-55.