Research into limits of gas-fired burners flame stabilization in the flue gas recirculation
Ivan Ivanov1, Serhii Polishchuk2, Iryna Holiakova2, Yevhen Kushnir2
1Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine, Dnipro, 49005, Ukraine
2Prydniprovsk State Academy of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Dnipro, 49600, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2020, 14(1):19-26
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. Determining the flue gas recirculation effect on the verge of the gas-fired burners flame stabilization based on experimental industrial research.
Methods. The studies were conducted on a circular heating furnace with a diameter of 30 m of the Interpipe NTRP wheel-rolling workshop. The furnace for blanks heating to 625 ± 25°C with their isothermal holding has 5 zones with an adjustable and systematic supply of natural gas. To increase the thermal performance efficiency, the furnace has been equipped with an external exhaust gas recirculation system. When assessing the burners forcing ability of the after their ignition, the gas consumption, as well as recycled gas consumption was increased gradually in a predetermined ratio. Therewith, gas consumption was determined at the time of the flame-out, which was recorded visually.
Findings. Based on a comprehensive analysis, the factors have been revealed, which affect the sustainability of the burner operating modes when exhaust flue gases are fed into the combustion zone. It is shown that the most rational for analyzing the recirculation influence on gas combustion stability is the use of criterion empirical models that take into account the complex of physical-chemical characteristics of the reagents, parameters of the combustion mode, gas-dynamic and design burner peculiarities. A criterion model has been obtained for the loss of a diffusion flame in combined “pipe-in-pipe” type burners when burning gas fuel in a medium of recycle flue gases with a temperature of 140-200°C and an oxygen composition of 15.4-19.6% in them. Dependences have been determined for assessing the expansion of combustion stability limits with a change in the coefficient of the oxidising agent consumption, its temperature, and the recirculation ratio.
Originality.New computational models have been obtained for assessing the limits of the flame stabilization of straight-flow gas burners during flue gas recirculation. The ratios have also been found of the recirculation ratio and the oxidising agents temperatures, that provide the conditions of their identical work for the flame-out and flame backflash when replacing the air with recycled gas for fuel combustion.
Practical implications. The results make it possible to make a reasonable choice of burners and combustion standard parameters that ensure the safe unit operation during flue gas recirculation.
Keywords: combustion, fuel, recirculation, stability, flame-out, flame backflash, burner, model
- Sidorkin, V.T., Tugov, A.N., Moshnikov, A.N., Vereshchetin, V.A., & Bersenev, K.G. (2016). Effect of flue gas recirculation on the technical and environmental performance of a boiler. Power Technology & Engineering, 49(5), 354-358. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10749-016-0627-5
- Yu, B., Kum, S., Lee, C., & Lee, S. (2013). Effects of exhaust gas recirculation on the thermal efficiency and combustion characteristics for premixed combustion system. Energy, 49(1), 375-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2012.10.057
- Baltasar, J., Carvalho, M.G., Coelho, P., & Costa, V. (1997). Flue gas recirculation in a gas-fired laboratory furnace: Measurements and modelling. Fuel, 76(10), 919-929. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-2361(97)00093-8
- Krasnokutskaya, I.N., & Ryzhkov, V.G. (2009). Analysis of energy saving directions in heating and thermal chamber furnaces. Metallurgy, (19), 139-144.
- Bondarenko, V., Tabachenko, M., & Wachowicz, J. (2010). Possibility of production complex of sufficient gasses in Ukraine. New Techniques and Technologies in Mining, 113-119. https://doi.org/10.1201/b11329-19
- Bondarenko, V., Lozynskyi, V., Sai, K., & Anikushyna, K. (2015). An overview and prospectives of practical application of the biomass gasification technology in Ukraine. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 27-32. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-6
- Sigal, I., Smikhula, A., Sigal, O., Marasin, O., & Kernazhytska, E. (2018). Features of the influence of recirculation of combustion products on the formation of nitrogen oxides in boilers during burning natural gas. Energy Technologies & Resource Saving, (4), 62-68. https://doi.org/10.33070/etars.4.2018.08
- Polishchuk, S.Z., Trotsenko, A.V., Polishchuk, A.V., & Levchenko, O.A. (2016). The effect of lowering the temperature of flue and ventilation emissions during their disposal to change the surface concentration of air pollutants. Construction, materials science, engineering, (92), 157-162.
- Qian, F., Chyang, C.S., Chiou, J.B., & Tso, J. (2011). Effect of flue gas recirculation (FGR) on NOx emission in a pilot-scale vortexing fluidized-bed combustor. Energy & Fuels, 25(12), 5639-5646. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef201394e
- Xu, L., Zhao, G., Gao, J., Du, Q., Luan, J., & Zhao, L. (2017). Effect of flue gas recirculation on nitric oxide (NO) emissions during the coal grate-fired process. Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, 99(5-6), 783-794. https://doi.org/10.1080/02772248.2017.1320050
- Saik, P., Petlevanyi, M., Lozynskyi, V., Sai, K., & Merzlikin, A. (2018). Innovative approach to the integrated use of energy resources of underground coal gasification. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 221-231. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.277.221
- Lozynskyi, V., Saik, P., Petlovanyi, M., Sai, K., Malanchuk, Z., & Malanchuk, Y. (2018). Substantiation into mass and heat balance for underground coal gasification in faulting zones. Inzynieria Mineralna, 19(2), 289-300. https://doi.org/10.29227/IM-2018-02-36
- Sai, K., Malanchuk, Z., Petlovanyi, M., Saik, P., & Lozynskyi, V. (2019). Research of thermodynamic conditions for gas hydrates formation from methane in the coal mines. Solid State Phenomena, (291), 155-172. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.291.155
- Gaurina-Međimurec, N., & Novak Mavar, K. (2017). Depleted hydrocarbon reservoirs and CO2 injection wells – CO2 leakage assessment. Rudarsko Geolosko Naftni Zbornik, 32(2), 15-26. https://doi.org/10.17794/rgn.2017.2.3
- Lekic, A., Jukic, L., Arnaut, M., & Macenic, M. (2019). Simulation of CO2 injection in a depleted gas reservoir: A case study for Upper Miocene sandstone, Northern Croatia. Rudarsko Geolosko Naftni Zbornik, 34(1), 139-149. https://doi.org/10.17794/rgn.2019.1.12
- Falshtyns’kyy, V., Dychkovs’kyy, R., Lozyns’kyy, V., & Saik, P. (2013). Justification of the gasification channel length in underground gas generator. Annual Scientific-Technical Collection – Mining of Mineral Deposits 2013, 125-132. https://doi.org/10.1201/b16354-22
- Pivnyak, G., Dychkovskyi, R., Bobyliov, O., Cabana, E.C., & Smoliński, A. (2018). Mathematical and geomechanical model in physical and chemical processes of underground coal gasification. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/ssp.277.1
- Tabachenko, N.M. (2001). Co-generation of heat-bearers is a XXI century technology. Ugol', (12), 47-51.
- Tomita, A. (2001). Catalysis of carbon-gas reactions. Catalysis Surveys from Japan, 5(1), 17-24. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012205714699
- Gorova, A., Pavlychenko, A., Kulyna, S., & Shkremetko, O. (2012). Ecological problems of post-industrial mining areas. Geomechanical Processes During Underground Mining, 35-40. https://doi.org/10.1201/b13157-7
- Sarycheva, L. (2003). Using GMDH in ecological and socio-economical monitoring problems. Systems Analysis Modelling Simulation, 43(10), 1409-1414. https://doi.org/10.1080/02329290290024925
- Aitkazinova, S., Soltabaeva, S., Kyrgizbaeva, G., Rysbekov, K., & Nurpeisova, M. (2016). Methodology of assessment and prediction of critical condition of natural-technical systems. Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference Surveying Geology and Mining Ecology Management, (2), 3-10. https://doi.org/10.5593/sgem2016/b22/s09.001
- Kuz’menko, O., Petlyovanyy, M., & Stupnik, M. (2013). The influence of fine particles of binding materials on the strength properties of hardening backfill. Annual Scientific-Technical Collection – Mining of Mineral Deposits 2013, 45-48. https://doi.org/10.1201/b16354-10
- Bobylev, V.P., & Ivanov, I.I. (2015). Assessment of the effect on the emission of nitrogen oxides of the combustion mode and recirculation of flue gases. Metallurgical and Mining Industry, 1(292), 147-150.
- Li, J., Zhang, X., Yang, W., & Blasiak, W. (2013). Effects of flue gas internal recirculation on NOx and SOx emissions in a co-firing boiler. International Journal of Clean Coal and Energy, 2(2), 13-21. http://doi.org/10.4236/ijcce.2013.22002
- Qian, F., Chyang, C.S., Yeh, J., & Tso, J. (2013). Effect of operating conditions on NOx and co emissions in a pilot-scale vortexing fluidized-bed combustor with flue gas recirculation. Chemical Engineering & Technology, 36(2), 268-276. https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201200146
- Rifert, V.G., & Sereda, V.V. (2015). Condensation inside smooth horizontal tubes: Part 1. Survey of the methods of heat-exchange prediction. Thermal Science, 19(5), 1769-1789. https://doi.org/10.2298/TSCI140522036R
- Boscolo, M, Padoano, E, & Tommasi, S. (2008). Identification of possible dioxin emission reduction strategies in pre-existing iron ore sinter plants. Ironmaking & Steelmaking, 35(2), 146-152. https://doi.org/10.1179/174328107X247815
- Fan, X., Yu, Z., Gan, M., Chen, X., & Huang, Y. (2016). Flue gas recirculation in iron ore sintering process. Ironmaking & Steelmaking, 43(6), 403-410. https://doi.org/10.1179/1743281215y.0000000029
- Sabdenov, K.O. (2016). Finding the concentration limits of combustion based on the analysis of diffusion-thermal instability of the flame. Methane/air/diluent mixture. Physics of Combustion and Explosion, 52(4), 24-35. https://doi.org/10.15372/FGV20160403
- Carlsson, H., Nordstrom, E., & Bohlin, A. (2015). Numerical and experimental study of flame propagation and quenching of lean premixed turbulent low swirl flames at different Reynolds numbers. Combustion and Flame, 162(6), 582-2591. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2015.03.007
- Sudakov, А., Dreus, A., Ratov, B., & Delikesheva, D. (2018). Theoretical bases of isolation technology for swallowing horizons using thermoplastic materials. News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Series of Geology and Technical Sciences, 2(428), 72-80.
- Birch, A.D., Brown, D.R., Cook, D.K., & Hargrave, G.K. (1988). Flame stability in underexpanded natural gas jets. Combustion Science and Technology, 58(4-6), 267-280. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102208808923967
- Caetano N.R., Stapasolla, T.Z., Peng, F.B., Schneider, P.S., Pereira, F.M., & Vielmo, H.A. (2015). Diffusion flame stability of low calorific fuels. Defect and Diffusion Forum, (362), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/DDF.362.29
- Savas, O., & Gollahalli, S.R. (1986). Stability of lifted laminar round gas-jet flame. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, (165), 297-318. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112086003105
- Abdulin, M.Z., & Seryy, A.A. (2014). Research of the stability of combustion in a stream-on-line system while limiting the range of fuel jets. Energetics: Economics, Technology, Ecology, (3), 22-28. https://doi.org/10.20535/1813-5420.3.2014.122097
- Yinli, X., Zhibo, C., & Changwu, W. (2018). Flame stability limits of premixed low-swirl combustion. Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 10(9), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814018790878
- Sirignano, W. (2014). Driving mechanisms for combustion instability. Combustion Science and Technology, 187(1-2), 162-205. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102202.2014.973801
- Zel'dovich, Ya.B., Barenblatt, G.I., Librovich, V.B., & Makhviladze, G.M. (1980). Mathematical theory of combustion and explosion. Moscow, Russia: Russia Science. https://doi.org/10.33271/mining13.02.103
- Rani, V.K., & Rani, S.L. (2018). Development of a comprehensive flame transfer function and its application to predict combustion instabilities in a dump combustor. Combustion Science and Technology, 190(8), 1313-1353. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102202.2018.1440215
- Silva, C.V., Deon, D.L., Centeno, F.R., França, F.H., & Pereira, F.M. (2018). Assessment of combustion models for numerical simulations of a turbulent non-premixed natural gas flame inside a cylindrical chamber. Combustion Science and Technology, 190(9), 1528-1556. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102202.2018.1456430
- Schiro, F., & Stoppato, F. (2019). Experimental investigation of emissions and flame stability for steel and metal fiber cylindrical premixed burners. Combustion Science and Technology, 191(3), 453-471. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102202.2018.1500556
- Isserlin, A.S. (1987). Fundamentals of gas fuel combustion. Leningrad, Russian Federation: Subsoil.
- Mednikov, Yu.P., Dymov, G.D., & Reykhert, K.N. (1982). Operation of industrial furnaces and gas-fired dryers. Leningrad, Russian Federation: Subsoil.