Geophysical and geological contribution to determining the neritic limestone aquifer structure of Hammam Bradaa – El Fedjoudj (Seybouse medium), Northeastern Algeria
Rahma Khadri1, Abdelhamid Khedidja1, Brinis Nafaa1, Kharroubi Maha2
1Batna 2 University, Batna, Algeria
2Ouargla University, Ouargla, Algeria
Min. miner. depos. 2023, 17(1):67-73
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. The neritic aquifer that extends between Hammam Bradaa and El Fedjoudj, despite its faulted and in places karstified structure, due toits capacity and lateral extension represent a strategic resource for the region. Its waters are used for drinking water supply in the neighboring towns: Heliopolis, Guelaat Bousbaa, Nechmaya and El Fedjoudj, as well as in part of the Annaba wilaya. These neritic limestones outcrop at Djebel Debagh and Bouzitoune.
Methods. In order to better study the potential of this aquifer, it is essential to identify its geometry and structure by analyzing the geological data, mechanical drilling data and geophysical data analysis through an electrical survey campaign.
Findings. The main results indicate that the study area has identified two important aquifer formations: a formation in the Mio-Plio-Quaternary alluvium consisting of clays, marls, gravel and sand; the second is a deep carbonate aquifer composed of fissured and karstified neritic limestone of the Cretaceous age of variable depth ranging within 50 and 350 m.
Originality. The originality of the study is in the fact that the studied area is characterized by the presence of thick, fractured and karstified carbonate formations, which are intensively tectonized and have significant aquifer potential.
Practical implications. The correlation of geological data with geophysical data made it possible to conclude that the stu-died area is a sedimentary basin bounded by faults predominantly oriented to the south-west and north-east, forming a highly fractured unit consisting of horsts and grabens. The significant water potential reservoir is formed essentially by carbonate geological formations, highly fractured with the presence of karst forms represented by resistant horizons.
Keywords: Hammam Bradaa, geometry, electrical prospecting, neritic limestone
- Vila, J.M. (1980). The alpine chain of eastern Algeria and the Algerian-Tunisian border. Paris, France, 665 p.
- Chouabi, A.M. (1987). Geological survey of the Hammam N’Bails region (SE of Guelma, Constantinois, Algeria): A sector of the outer zones of the Maghrebideschain. Paris, France, 123 p.
- Lahondère, J.C. (1987). Les séries ultratelliennes d’algérie Nord-orientale et les formations environnantes dans leur cadre structural. Paris, France, 238 p.
- Darest de la Chavane, J.C. (1910). Geological and paleontological research in the Guelma region. Paris, France, 123 p.
- Durand Delga, M. (1955). Geological survey of the western part of the Numidique chain. Paris, France, 533 p.
- Electric prospection by VES in the region of HAMMAM BRADAA. (1994). Report. Guelma, Algeria: National Geophysics Company for the Account of the Direction of Hydraulics.
- Saaidia, B., & Chaab S. (2002). Hydrogeological reconnaissance from geological and geophysical data of the region of “Hammam Bradaa-El Fedjoudj”.
- Gilli, E., Christian, M.C., & Mudry, J. (2004). Hydrogeology: Objects, methods, applications. London, United Kingdom: CRC Press, 394 p.
- Benmares, K. (2007). Physico-chemical and isotopic characteristics of groundwater in the region of Guelma. Mémoire de Magister en Hydrogéologie. Annaba, Algeria: Université d’Annaba.
- Boudoukha, A. (2008). Identification of deep aquifers by electrical prospecting application to the East Algerian. Sciences & Technologies, (28), 47-52.
- Briou, A.A. (2012). Geophysical prospecting applied to the research of aquifer lands in the sector of HAMMAM BRADAA (wilaya of Guelma). Thesis of State Engineer in Geology. Annaba, Algeria: Université d’Annaba.
- Elkanti, S.M., El Mokhtar, M., Chibout, M., Mridekh, A., & El Mansouri, B. (2013). Determination of aquifer formations by electrical geophysics in the Dakhla Peninsula (Morocco). Maghreb Colloquium of Applied Geophysics, 1-5.
- Boudoukha, A., & Messaidb. (2014). Electrical characterization of aquifer formations in Eastern Algeria. Courrier du Savoir, (18), 77-82.
- Geophysical study for the realization of a drilling in the region of Guelaat Bousbaa for the AEP of Ain El Berda. (2014). Report.
- Zouak, Z., Benabbes, C., & Benzid, Y. (2014). Neotectonics, morphostructural abnormalities and field movements in the Guelma region. Science and Technology, (40), 73-81.
- Ameur, Z.O., Brioua, A., Zerdazi, A., Belksier, M.S., & Kechiched, R. (2015). The contribution of geophysical prospecting to the identification of aquifères: Hammam Bradaa Guelma, Algeria, Oriental.
- Ouzerbane, Z., Aïfa, T., El Hmaidi, A., Essahlaoui, A., & Najine, A. (2021). A geoelectric study of aquifers in the Essaouira coastal region, Morocco. Journal of African Earth Sciences, (183), 104309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafrearsci.2021.104309
- Mahiedine. F., & Mihoub. (2016). Hydrogeological and geophysical characterization of the Heliopolis-El Fedjoudj-Hammam Oulad Ali region. Master’s thesis. Guelma, Algeria: University of Guelma.
- Gouasmia, M., Mhamdi, A., Dhahri, F., Moumni, L., & Soussi, M. (2022). Geophysical and hydrogeological investigation to study the aquifer potential of northern Gafsa basin (central Tunisia). Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 15(5), 433. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-022-09666-3
- Nouar, T., & Brahmia, A. (2016). Hydrochemistry and assessment on groundwater quality of the aquifer of Heliopolis in North of Guelma-Algeria. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 7(11), 1-7.
- Chokri, J. (2017). Geophysical study of the limestone aquifer of Sidi Ahmed (Nefza-Beja). Thesis of Master of Research in Earth Sciences.
- Youssef, M.A., Abd El-Gawad, A.M., & Farag, K.S. (2018). Iron ore prospecting based on very low frequency-electromagnetic and geoelectrical resistivity at Wadi Abu Subeira, Northeastern Aswan, South Egypt. NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics, 7(2), 253-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nrjag.2018.08.002
- Abd El-Gawad, A.M.S., Kotb, A.D., & Hussien, G.H. (2017). Geoelectrical contribution for delineation the groundwater potential and subsurface structures on Tushka Area, Egypt. NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics, 6(2), 379-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nrjag.2017.10.003
- Hydraulic Direction of Wilya. (2020). Inventories of existing drilling points in the region of Guelma.
- Eugene-Okorie, J.O., Obiora, D.N., Ibuot, J.C., & Ugbor, D.O. (2020). Geoelectrical investigation of groundwater potential and vulnerability of Oraifite, Anambra State, Nigeria. Applied Water Science, (10), 223. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13201-020-01304-1
- Abdulrazzaq, Z.T., Agbasi, O.E., Aziz, N.A., & Etuk, S.E. (2020). Identification of potential groundwater locations using geophysical data and fuzzy gamma operator model in Imo, Southeastern Nigeria. Applied Water Science, (10), 188. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13201-020-01264-6