A new concept for complex mining of mineral raw material resources from DTEK coal mines based on sustainable development and ESG strategy
Volodymyr Bondarenko1, Ildar Salieiev2, Iryna Kovalevska1, Viktor Chervatiuk2, Dmytro Malashkevych1, Maksym Shyshov2, Volodymyr Chernyak1
1Dnipro University of Technology, Dnipro, Ukraine
2LLC “DTEK Energy”, Kyiv, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2023, 17(1):1-16
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. The research purpose is to develop a concept for complex mining of mineral resources from coal mines using the example of PJSC DTEK Pavlohradvuhillia mines with a transition to multi-product production of clean drinking water, utilization of methane, secondary coal from rock dumps and sludge reservoirs, low-potential thermal energy of mine groundwaters and associated raw materials from desalination waste.
Methods. The research uses an integrated approach, which includes an analysis of existing experience and available complex coal mining technologies, laboratory studies of mine water desalination technology by the reverse osmosis method with thermal distillation of concentrated brine, and chemical analysis using ElvaX laboratory equipment.
Findings. This paper presents the research results of a comprehensive analysis of mineral raw material resources related to coal mining. The technically achievable energy potential that can be produced from the secondary coal of rock dumps and sludge reservoirs has been determined, which in total is 183.3 TJ. The annual heat potential of methane gas utilization has been estimated, which in total of PJSC DTEK Pavlohradvuhillia’s mines reaches 7.1 PJ. The possibility of extracting up to 1.12 TJ/year of associated thermal energy from the water-drainage installation of mine complexes has been determined. For the conditions of the Zakhidno-Donbaska mine, the authors of the paper have developed a technological scheme for the water preparation process by the reverse osmosis with the desalination brine treatment by the method of multistage evaporation on adiabatic evaporators.
Originality. For the first time, the energy flows related to coal mining technology have been comprehensively analyzed for the possibility of their joint use to cover the needs of the mine complex. The prospects for complex mining of mineral resources have been assessed based on the adaptation of the mine complex production facilities to the multi-product production of clean drinking water, utilization of methane gas, low-potential thermal energy from mine groundwaters and secondary raw materials of desalination waste.
Practical implications. The proposed set of technological solutions will ensure the sustainable development and diversification of the production of PJSC DTEK Pavlohradvuhillia coal-mining enterprises, as well as the effective transformation of coal-mining cities during the period of transition from mono-product production to the creation of multi-business production complexes that comply with ESG principles. The creation of multi-product mine complexes capable of producing not only coal, but also heat and associated mineral raw material resources, should become a guarantee of stable social-economic development of coal-mining regions.
Keywords: mine, mineral resources, water, desalination, coalmine gas, thermal energy, rock dumps
- Pivnyak, G.G., Pilov, P.I., Bondarenko, V.I., Surgai, N.S., & Tulub, S.B. (2005). Development of coal industry: The part of the power strategy in the Ukraine. Gornyi Zhurnal, (5), 14-17.
- Kicki, J., & Dyczko, A. (2010). The concept of automation and monitoring of the production process in an underground mine. New Techniques and Technologies in Mining, 245-253. https://doi.org/10.1201/b11329-41
- Bondarenko, V.I., Griadushchiy, Y.B., Dychkovskiy, R.O., Korz, P.P., & Koval, O.I. (2007). Technical, technological and economic aspects of thin-seams coal mining. International Mining Forum, 1-7.
- Bazaluk, O., Ashcheulova, O., Mamaikin, O., Khorolskyi, A., Lozynskyi, V., & Saik, P. (2022). Innovative activities in the sphere of mining process management. Frontiers in Environmental Science, (10), 878977. https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2022.878977
- Dychkovskiy, R., & Bondarenko, V. (2006). Methods of extraction of thin and rather thin coal seams in the works of the scientists of the Underground Mining Faculty (National Mining University). International Mining Forum: New Technological Solutions in Underground Mining, 21-25. https://doi.org/10.1201/noe0415401173.ch3
- Yermakov, O., & Kostetska, I. (2022). Environmental challenges of the green economy: Case of Ukraine. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 1111(1), 012002. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/1111/1/012002
- Coal and lignite production. (2021). Retrieved from: https://yearbook.enerdata.net/coal-lignite/coal-production-data.html
- Trading economics. (2022). Retrieved from: https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal
- Malanchuk, Z., Moshynskyi, V., Stets, S., Ignatiuk, I., & Galiyev, D. (2020). Modelling hydraulic mixture movement along the extraction chamber bottom in case of hydraulic washout of the puff-stone. E3S Web of Conference, (201), 01011. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202020101011
- Smoliński, A., Malashkevych, D., Petlovanyi, M., Rysbekov, K., Lozynskyi, V., & Sai, K. (2022). Research into impact of leaving waste rocks in the mined-out space on the geomechanical state of the rock mass surrounding the longwall face. Energies, 15(24), 9522. https://doi.org/10.3390/en15249522
- Petlovanyi, M, Medianyk, V., Sai, K., Malashkevych, D., & Popovych, V. (2021). Geomechanical substantiation of the parameters for coal auger mining in the protecting pillars of mine workings during thin seams development. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 16(15), 1572-1582.
- Petlovanyi, М.V., Мalashkevych, D.S., & Sai, K.S. (2020). The new approach to creating progressive and low-waste mining technology for thin coal seams. Journal of Geology, Geography and Geoecology, 29(4), 765-775. https://doi.org/10.15421/112069
- Bondarenko, V., Kovalevska, I., Symanovych, H., Barabash, M., & Salieiev, I. (2021). Principles for certain geomechanics problems solution during overworking of mine workings. E3S Web of Conferences, (280), 01007. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202128001007
- Bondarenko, V., Kovalevska, I., Symanovych, G., Sotskov, V., & Barabash, M. (2018). Geomechanics of interference between the operation modes of mine working support elements at their loading. Mining Science, (25), 219-235. https://doi.org/10.5277/msc182515
- Bondarenko, V., Kovalevska, I., Symanovych, H., Poimanov, S., & Pochepov, V. (2020). Method for optimizing the protecting pillars parameters in underground coal mining. E3S Web of Conferences, (166), 02009. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202016602009
- Pivnyak, G., Bondarenko, V., & Kovalevska, I. (2015). New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining. London, United Kingdom: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 607 p. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901
- Bondarenko, V., Kovalevska, I., Symanovych, H., Barabash, M., & Snihur, V. (2018). Assessment of parting rocks weak zones under the joint and downward mining of coal seams. E3S Web of Conferences, (66), 03001. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/20186603001
- Kicki, J., Jarosz, J., Dyczko, A., & Paszcza, H. (2005). The economic and technical aspects of mine closure in Poland. International Symposium on Mine Planning and Equipment Selection, 625-631.
- Dyczko, A., & Jarosz, J. (2010). Exploitation of thin hard coal beds in Poland – strategic decisions at the threshold of the 21st century. Mine Safety and Efficient Exploitation Facing Challenges of the 21st Century, 371-378. https://doi.org/10.1201/b11761-51
- Dyczko, A. (2007). Thin coal seams, their role in the reserve base of Poland. International Mining Forum: Technical, Technological and Economical Aspects of Thin-Seams Coal Mining, 81-87. https://doi.org/10.1201/noe0415436700.ch10
- Zablodska, I.V., & Rohozian, Yu.S. (2020). Spravedlyva transformatsiia vuhilnykh rehioniv: Svitovyi dosvid ta pravovyi aspekt. Economics and Law, 2(57), 14-31. https://doi.org/10.15407/econlaw.2020.02.014
- Amralinova, B.B., Frolova, O.V., Mataibaeva, I.E., Agaliyeva, B.B., & Khromykh, S.V. (2021). Mineralization of rare metals in the lakes of East Kazakhstan. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (5), 16-21. https://doi.org/10.33271/nvngu/2021-5/016
- Mhlanga, D. (2022). Stakeholder capitalism, the fourth industrial revolution (4IR), and sustainable development: issues to be resolved. Sustainability, 14(7), 3902. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14073902
- Bondarenko, V.I., Samusya, V.I., & Smolanov, S.N. (2005). Mobile lifting units for wrecking works in pit shafts. Gornyi Zhurnal, (5), 99-100.
- Boichenko, M.V. (2019). Mozhlyvi shliakhy innovatsiinoho rozvytku vu-hilnykh pidpryiemstv. Visnyk Ekonomichnoi Nauky Ukrainy, 2(37), 78-81.
- Rudko, H.I., & Yakovliev, Ye.O. (2020). Postmaininh hirnychodobuvnykh raioniv Ukrainy yak novyi napriam ekolohichno bezpechnoho vykorystannia mineralno-syrovynnykh resursiv. Mineralni Resursy Ukrainy, (3), 37-44.
- Fedorin, V., & Zarazhevska, S. (2021). Hlobalni korporatsii prysiahaiut na virnist novym pryntsypam biznesu. Yak ukrainski kompanii prystosovuiutsia do vymoh ESG. Forbes Ukraine. Retrieved from: http://surl.li/ftxnz
- Dyczko, A. (2023). Production management system in a modern coal and coke company based on the demand and quality of the exploited raw material in the aspect of building a service-oriented architecture. Journal of Sustainable Mining, 22(1), 2-19. https://doi.org/10.46873/2300-3960.1371
- Pivnyak, G., Bondarenko, V., Kovalevs’ka, I., & Illiashov, M. (2012). Geomechanical processes during underground mining. London, United Kingdom: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 238 p. https://doi.org/10.1201/b13157
- Forrester, J.W. (1971). World dynamics. Cambridge, United States: Wright-Allen Press, 82 р.
- Meadows, D.H., Meadows, D.H., Randers, J., & Behrens III, W.W. (1972). The limits to growth. New York, United States: Universe Books, 211 p.
- United Nations. (2019). 12 responsible consumption and production. The Sustainable Development Goals Extended Report 2022. Available at: https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2022/extended-report/Extended-Report_Goal-12.pdf
- United Nations. (2019). The sustainable development goals report 2019. Available at: https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2019/The-Sustainable-Development-Goals-Report-2019.pdf
- UNEP. (2011). Decoupling natural resource use and environmental impacts from economic growth. A Report of the Working Group on Decoupling to the International Resource Panel. Switzerland: United Nations Environment Programme, 174 p.
- Bondarenko, V., Lozynskyi, V., Sai, K., & Anikushyna, K. (2015). An overview and prospectives of practical application of the biomass gasification technology in Ukraine. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 27-32. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-6
- Oberle, B., Bringezu, S., Hatfield-Dodds, S., Hellweg, S., Schandl, H., & Clement, J. (2019). Global resources outlook 2019. Natural resources for the future we want. Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Programme, 160 p.
- Daly, H.E. (2014). Beyond growth: the economics of sustainable development. Boston, United States: Beacon Press, 264 p.
- Hapuwatte, B.M., & Jawahir, I.S. (2021). Closed‐loop sustainable product design for circular economy. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 25(6), 1430-1446. https://doi.org/10.1111/jiec.13154
- Belhadi, A., Kamble, S.S., Jabbour, C.J.C., Mani, V., Khan, S.A.R., & Touriki, F.E. (2022). A self-assessment tool for evaluating the integration of circular economy and industry 4.0 principles in closed-loop supply chains. International Journal of Production Economics, (245), 108372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2021.108372
- Lieder, M., & Rashid, A. (2016). Towards circular economy implementation: a comprehensive review in context of manufacturing industry. Journal of Cleaner Production, (115), 36-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.12.042
- Bekbassarov, S., Soltabaeva, S., Daurenbekova, A., & Ormanbekova, A. (2015). “Green” economy in mining. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 431-434. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-75
- Turekulova, A.N., Mukhambetova, L.K., Doshan, A.S., Issabekov, B.N., Chimgentbayeva, G.K., & Turegeldinova, A.Z. (2016). Government strategic support for investment activity. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 11(11), 4931-4940.
- Bondar, R. (2021). V Ukraini biznes udayie, shcho ESG-zminy yoho ne torknutsia. Tse iliuziia i hotuvatys treba vzhe. Forbes Ukraine. Retrieved from: http://surl.li/ftxqn
- DTEK group’s ESG strategy priorities. (2022). Retrieved from: https://dtek.com/investors_and_partners/esg/
- Khairullayev, N.B., Aliev, S.B., Yusupova, S.А., Eluzakh, M., & Akhmetkanov, D.K. (2021). Studies of solution activation in geotechnological mining methods. Ugol, (9), 55-57. https://doi.org/10.18796/0041-5790-2021-9-55-57
- Salieiev, І. (2021). Desalination of mine water during the closure of the mine named after M.I. Stashkova of PJSC “DTEK Pavlohradvuhillia”. Collection of Research Papers of the National Mining University, (66), 81-93. https://doi.org/10.33271/crpnmu/66.081
- Eke, J., Yusuf, A., Giwa, A., & Sodiq, A. (2020). The global status of desalination: An assessment of current desalination technologies, plants and capacity. Desalination, (495), 114633. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2020.114633
- Gul’ko, S.Ye., & Goma, I.I. (2013). Opyt i perspektivy ispol’zovaniya shakhtnoy vody. Ugol’ Ukrainy, (6), 30-34.
- Petenko, A.V. (2014). Promyslovo-ekolohichna kontseptsiia upravlinnia protsesamy sotsialnoho rozvytku ekolohosladnykh vuhlepromyslovykh rehioniv Donbasu. Visnyk Sotsialno-Ekonomichnykh Doslidzhen, (1), 55-60.
- Solodyankin, A.V., Gapeev, S.N., Vygodin, M.A., Voronin, S.A., & Mkrtchyan, S.V. (2017). Kreplenie kapital’nykh vyrabotok s ispol’zovaniem tverdeyushchikh smesey na osnove shakhtnoy porody. Ugol’ Ukrainy, (3), 11-16.
- Mineev, S., Kocherga, V., Novikov, L., Gulay, A., & Bodnar, A. (2020). Basic requirements to contamination preventions and floods for gas pipelines of degassing and vacuum pumps. Collection of Research Papers of the National Mining University, (63), 37-48. https://doi.org/10.33271/crpnmu/63.037
- Fyk, M., Biletskyi, V., Fyk, I., Bondarenko, V., & Al-Sultan, M.B. (2019). Improvement of an engineering procedure for calculating the nonisothermal transportation of a gasliquid mixture. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3(5(99)), 51-60. https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.167198
- Kretschmann, J. (2013). Stakeholder orientated sustainable land management: The Ruhr Area as a role model for urban areas. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 23(5), 659-663. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2013.08.007
- Chernysh, Y. (2019). Przyjazny dla środowiska sposób stymulacji właściwości ochronnych gleby. Studia Periegetica, (25), 95-107. https://doi.org/10.26349/st.per.0025.07
- Papapetrou, M., Cipollina, A., La Commare, U., Micale, G., Zaragoza, G., & Kosmadakis, G. (2017). Assessment of methodologies and data used to calculate desalination costs. Desalination, (419), 8-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2017.05.038
- Saleh, L., & Mezher, T. (2021). Techno-economic analysis of sustainability and externality costs of water desalination production. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, (150), 111465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2021.111465
- Bondarenko, V., Svietkina, O., & Sai, K. (2018). Effect of mechanoactivated chemical additives on the process of gas hydrate formation. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1(6(91)), 17-26. https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.123885
- Bоndаrenkо, V.I., & Sai, K.S. (2018). Process pattern of heterogeneous gas hydrate deposits dissociation. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (2), 21-28. https://doi.org/10.29202/nvngu/2018-2/4
- Pedchenko, M., Pedchenko, L., Nesterenko, T., & Dyczko, A. (2018). Technological solutions for the realization of NGH-technology for gas transportation and storage in gas hydrate form. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 123-136. https://doi.org10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.277.123
- Bazaluk, O., Sai, K., Lozynskyi, V., Petlovanyi, M., & Saik, P. (2021). Research into dissociation zones of gas hydrate deposits with a heterogeneous structure in the Black Sea. Energies, 14(5), 1345. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14051345
- Bondarenko, V., Sai, K., Ganushevych, K., & Ovchynnikov, M. (2015). The results of gas hydrates process research in porous media. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 123-127. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-23