Metal losses at the Trepça concentrator during the enrichment process
Alber Hyseni1, Enes Muzaqi2, Bedri Durmishaj3, Sylejman Hyseni3
1Goce Delchev University, Shtip, North Macedonia
2Stan Terg Mine, Mitrovice, Kosovo
3University “Isa Boletini” – Mitrovica, Mitrovica, Kosovo
Min. miner. depos. 2022, 16(4):132-137
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. The purpose of this paper is to determine the flow of lead, zinc and silver metals at the enrichment factory in Trepça. The authors have determined the flows of metals discharged into the tailing of Kelmend. In addition, they make a correction for the losses of Pb, Zn, and Ag metals, which are very high.
Methods. Ore enrichment has been studied for two years in the production process of lead and zinc concentrates based on the following facts: selective separation of lead and zinc metallic minerals, as well as non-metallic minerals that are present in the ore. Sampling was conducted at the entrance to the ore receiving bunker. The samples were taken according to standards and sent for analysis in laboratories. In the laboratories, the samples were ground in a mill, then dried and sent for chemical analysis. The chemical analyses for Pb, Zn, and Ag were done at the Trepça laboratory, while for 35 chemical elements at the BRGM laboratory in France, with inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy (ICP/AES) and inductively coupled plasma mass spectroscopy (ICP-MS) equipment. During the technological process, samples were taken for chemical analysis, and then in the flow, evidence was also taken to analyses the losses of lead, zinc, and silver metals. Mini Tab software was used to perform a T-test for independent samples and then correction was made for these metal losses in the tailing. The method of economic geology for the calculation of the balance of metals was used.
Findings. Based on the study of the chemical analysis of ore at the entrance to the receiving bunker, then sampling during the technological process and the flow of metals into the tailing, the amount of metal losses for 2020 and 2021 has been determined. Based on the calculations of the metal balance, the metal losses that affect the economic evaluation are presented. The remains of landfills on the ground affect the pollution of the environment and rivers.
Originality. The originality of the study is in the use of the results of chemical analyses obtained in the BRGM Laboratory in France on Pb, Zn, Ag and other conductive elements. A total of 35 chemical elements of tailings, which are presented in this work, have been tested.
Practical implications. According to the data of chemical and geochemical analysis, it turns out that in addition to losses of Pb, Zn, and Ag, we also have losses of conductive and rare elements.
Keywords: lead, zinc processing, metal loss, enrichment plant, flotation, Trepça
- Kelmendi, Sh. (2021). Flotimi I xeheroreve te Pb dhe Zn. Prishtine, Kosovo, 484 p.
- Azizi, A., Masdarian, M., Hassanzadeh, A., Bahri, Z., Niedoba, T., & Surowiak, A. (2020). Parametric optimization in rougher flotation performance of a sulfidized mixed copper ore. Minerals, 10(8), 660. https://doi.org/10.3390/min10080660
- Zhang, Q., Feng, Q., Wen, S., Cui, C., & Liu, J. (2019). A novel technology for separating copper, lead and zinc in flotation concentrate by oxidizing roasting and leaching. Processes, 7(6), 376. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr7060376
- Yarluğkal Altınışık, C., Cebeci, Y., Sis, H., & Kalender, L. (2022). A process mineralogy approach to the flotation of complex lead-zinc ores from Görgü (Malatya) region. Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration, 39(3), 1219-1232. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42461-022-00581-5
- Štirbanović, Z., Stanujkić, D., Miljanović, I., & Milanović, D. (2019). Application of MCDM methods for flotation machine selection. Minerals Engineering, (137), 140-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2019.04.014
- Lan, Z.Y., Lai, Z.N., Zheng, Y.X., Lv, J.F., Pang, J., & Ning, J.L. (2020). Recovery of Zn, Pb, Fe and Si from a low-grade mining ore by sulfidation roasting-beneficiation-leaching processes. Journal of Central South University, 27(1), 37-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-020-4276-3
- Šajn, R., Ristović, I., & Čeplak, B. (2022). Mining and metallurgical waste as potential secondary sources of metals – A case study for the West Balkan region. Minerals, 12(5), 547. https://doi.org/10.3390/min12050547
- Feraud, J., & Deschamps, Y. (2009). French scientific cooperation 2007-2008 on the Trepça lead-zinc-silver mine and the gold potential of Novo Brdo/Artana tailings (Kosovo). Final Report BRGM/RP-57204-FR.
- Hyseni, S., & Large, D. (2003). The Trepça lead-zinc mineral belt, Kosovo-geological overview and interpretation. 7th Biennial SGA Meeting Mineral Exploration and Sustainable Development Poster, (120), 1-2.
- Hyseni, S., Durmishaj, B., Fetahaj, B., Shala, F., Berisha, A., & Large, D. (2010). Trepça Ore Belt and Stan Terg mine – Geological overview and interpretation, Kosovo (SE Europe). Geologija, 53(1), 87-92. https://doi.org/10.5474/geologija.2010.006
- Simic, D. (1963). Zonalnost orudnjenja u olovo-cinkovom lezistu “Trepca” Stari Terg. Rudastvo i Metallurgija, Tehnika, 18(11), 2029-2037.
- Kolodziejcz, J. (2012). Pb-Zn mineralization in Stan Terg deposit, Kosovo. Master’s Thesis. Krakow, Poland: AGH University of Science and Technology.
- Kepuska, H (1998). Distribuimi i elementeve shpërndarëse dhe mikroelementëve përcjellëse në mineralet kryesore xehror formonjësë në vendburimin e Pb-Zn Trepça. PhD Thesis. Mitrovica, Kosovo: University of Prishtina.
- Simić, D., Micić, I., Klisić, M., & Perić, M. (1968). Studija metalogenije olova i cinka Tercijarnog magmatskog ciklusa u Kopaonićkoj i Lecko-Novobrdskoj rudnoj zoni. Fond Struvni Dokumenata. Beograd, Serbia.
- Durmishaj, B., Hyseni, S., & Shala, F. (2011). Trepça minerals atlas. Retrieved from: www.trepca-akp.com
- Smejkal, S. (1960). Para genesis mineral lead and zinc mineral deposits Hajvali, Prlina and Kizhnica. Library books in Serbian Doc.
- Ibrahimi, J. (2020). Rrjedha e Pb-Zn-Ag ne Uzinen e Pasurimit ne Tunelin e Pare. Master’s Thesis. Mitrovica, Kosovo: University of Prishtina.
- Hyseni, S., Durmishaj, B., Bytyqi, A., Krasniqi, R., & Abazi, Sh. (2012). Lost metals through processing polymineral lead and zinc in the flotation Stan Terg, Trepça. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 7(3), 251-255.