Using indices of the current industrial coal classification to forecast hazardous characteristics of coal seams
Mykola Antoshchenko1, Vadym Tarasov1, Yevhen Rudniev1, Olha Zakharova1
1Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University, Sievierodonetsk, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2022, 16(2):7-13
Full text (PDF)
Purpose is to identify changes in the basic indices of vitrinite reflection as well as content of volatile matter in the process of seam underground transformation influenced by high temperature and pressure and define nature of the changes in the classification indices and their correspondence to grades, groups, and subgroups of similar metamorphic coal transformations to determine hazardous characteristics of seams while mining.
Methods. Selection of the most adequate basic index, evaluating metamorphism degree of coal seam and forecasting of their hazardous characteristic demonstration while mining, is based upon the average data of coal composition in Donbas depending upon the stages of seam metamorphism.
Findings.Analysis of indices of the current industrial classification and normative base has shown the following. They cannot characterize directly the coal metamorphism connected with changes in composition and properties of the original organic substance. It has been mentioned that volatile matter do not demonstrate specifically ultimate composition of the organic matter and phase coal composition while fluid extraction from seams during their metamorphic transformations. Only the total release of gaseous products without identification of the released gases is defined by its value. Average vitrinite reflection has been defined experimentally along with other indices to identify the coal grades. For that reason, values of the index not always correspond to coal metamorphism degree in their grade ranking.
Originality. Nature of changes in the classification indices of industrial coal ranking has been defined to identify hazardous characteristics of coal seams while mining.
Practical implications. Possibilities to improve a normative base for safe mining have been defined while determining the classification indices characterizing directly the changes in ultimate composition during metamorphic processes.
Keywords: coal, metamorphism, ultimate composition, humidity, hazardous properties
- Standart SOU 10.1. 00174088.011-2005. (2005). Pravyla vedennia hirnychykh robit na plastakh, skhylnykh do hazodynamichnykh yavyshch. Kyiv, Ukraina: Minuhleprom Ukrainy, 221 s.
- KD 12.01.402-2000. (2000). Rukovodstvo po preduprezhdeniyu i tusheniyu endogennykh pozharov na ugol’nykh shakhtakh Ukrainy. Donetsk, Ukraina: NIIGD, 216 s.
- Yanko, S.V., & Tkachuk, S.P. (1994). Rukovodstvo po proektirovaniyu ventilyatsii ugol’nykh shakht. Kiev, Ukraina: Osnova, 311 s.
- Rukovodstvo po bor’be s pylyu v ugol’nykh shakhtakh. (1979). Moskva, Rossiya: Nedra, 319 s.
- GOST 17070-2014 (ISO 1213-2:1992, NEQ). (2015). Coals. Terms and definitions. Moscow, Russian Federation: Izdatel’stvo standartov, 15 p.
- Thomas, L. (1992). A handbook on practical coal geology. Hoboken, United States: John Wiley & Sons, 338 p.
- Ahamed, M.A.A., Perera, M.S.A., Matthai, S.K., Ranjith, P.G., & Dong-yin, L. (2019). Coal composition and structural variation with rank and its influence on the coal-moisture interactions under coal seam temperature conditions – A review article. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, (180), 901-917. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.06.007
- GOST 25543-2013. (2014). Brown coals, hard coals and anthracites. Classification according to genetic and technological parameters. Moscow, Russian Federation: Izdatel’stvo standartov, 19 p.
- Antoshchenko, M., Tarasov, V., Liubymova-Zinchenko, O., Halchenko, A., & Kononenko, A. (2021). About possibility to use industrial coal-rank classification to reveal coal layers hazardous characteristics. Civil Engineering and Architecture, 9(2), 507-511. https://doi.org/10.13189/cea.2021.090223
- Antoshchenko, M., Tarasov, V., Zakharova, O., Rudniev, Ye., & Nedbailo, O. (2021). On the possibilities to apply indices of industrial coal-rank classification to determine hazardous characteristics of workable beds. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 15(2), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.33271/mining15.02.001
- Thomas, L. (2020). Coal geology. Hoboken, United States: John Wiley & Sons, 513 p. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119424307
- Pymonenko, D. (2019). Relationship between the indices of physical and mechanical properties of coal and rock, gas saturation and tectonic dislocation of Donbas. E3S Web of Conferences, (109), 00076. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201910900076
- Zheldakov, M.E., & Ivanova, E.I. (1980). Spravochnik po kachestvu antratsitov Sovetskogo Soyuza. Moskva, Rossiya: Nedra, 99 s.
- Qi, Y. (2020). Geology of fossil fuels-coal. Proceedings of the 30th International Geological Congress, 18(B). London, United Kingdom: CRC Press, 168 p. https://doi.org/10.1201/9780429087820
- GOST 6382-2007 (ISO 562-98, ISO 5071-1-97). (2008). Solid mineral fuel. Methods for determination of volatile matter yield. Moscow, Russian Federation: Izdatel’stvo standartov, 12 p.
- GOST 9414-74. (1987). Brown coals, hard coals and anthracites. Method for determination of petrographic composition. Moscow, Russian Federation: Izdatel’stvo standartov, 22 p.
- Danilov, O.S., Miheev, V.A., & Moskalenko, T.V. (2011). Vzaimosvyaz geneticheskikh i tekhnologicheskikh parametrov ugley, prinyatykh v klassifikatsii, so strukturnymi parametrami ikh organicheskoy massy. Gornyi Informatsionno-Analiticheskiy Byulleten’, (8), 100-104.
- Sen, S., & Banerjee, S. (2015). Identifying relationship amongst vitrinite/inertinite ratio (V/I), cleat parameters, vitrinite reflectance, O/C ratio and permeability of coal seams and V/I ratio as exploration tool: Study from Raniganj Coal Bed Methane Block, Essar Oil Limited, India. Petroleum Geosciences: Indian Contexts, 205-217. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-03119-4_9