Mathematical model and methods for solving heat-transfer problem during underground coal gasification
Pavlo Saik1, Mykhailo Berdnyk1
1Dnipro University of Technology, Dnipro, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2022, 16(2):87-94
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. A mathematical model development for heat transfer during underground coal gasification based on the transcendental equation solution by the Newton-Raphson method.
Methods. The heat-transfer model development is based on the research into a temperature field with a variable size of the gasification zone when passing through the phase transformation boundary, which changes abruptly. The research on the coal seam T(x, t) temperature field and the displacement length of the phase transition boundary S(t) is based on the integration of the differential heat-transfer equation with the fulfillment of one-phase Stefan problem conditions. The proportionality factor (β), characterizing the ratio of the displacement length of the “generator gas – coal” phase transition boundary to the time of coal seam gasification, is determined by substituting the Boltzmann equation and using the Newton-Raphson method based on solving the obtained transcendental equation.
Findings. The main problems related to laboratory research on the coal gasification process have been identified. A mathematical model of heat transfer during underground coal gasification for a closed georeactor system has been developed, taking into account the effective change in its active zones.
Originality. A mathematical model of heat transfer during underground coal gasification at the phase transition boundary has been developed, under which the one-phase Stefan problem conditions are fulfilled. Dependences of the change in the underground gas generator temperature, taking into account the change in the active zones of chemical reactions along the length of the combustion face and the gasification column, have been revealed. In addition, the dependences of the change in the phase transition boundary of a “generator gas – coal” heterogeneous system have been determined, which characterize the displacement length of the phase transition boundary on time and reveal the relationship between the thermal conductivity coefficient, specific heat capacity, as well as bulk density of coal and its calorific value.
Practical implications. A method has been developed to determine the displacement length of the phase transition boundary of a “generator gas – coal” heterogeneous system and its relationship between the time and temperature of gasification process. This makes it possible to predict in the future the change in the active zones of the underground gas generator along the length of the gasification column.
Keywords: underground gasification, coal, heat transfer, thermal conductivity, Stefan problem
- Petlovanyi, M.V., Lozynskyi, V.H., Saik, P.B., & Sai, K.S. (2018). Modern experience of low-coal seams underground mining in Ukraine. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 28(6), 917-923. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2018.05.014
- Friedmann, S.J., Upadhye, R., & Kong, F.M. (2009). Prospects for underground coal gasification in carbon-constrained world. Energy Procedia, 1(1), 4551-4557. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2009.02.274
- Kryshtanovych, M., Akimova, L., Akimov, O., Kubiniy, N., & Marhitich, V. (2021). Modeling the process of forming the safety potential of engineering enterprises. International Journal of Safety and Security Engineering, 11(3), 223-230. https://doi.org/10.18280/ijsse.110302
- Khorolskyi, A., Hrinov, V., Mamaikin, O., & Fomychova, L. (2020). Research into optimization model for balancing the technological flows at mining enterprises. E3S Web of Conferences, (201), 01030. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202020101030
- Akimov, O., Karpa, M., Parkhomenko-Kutsevil, O., Kupriichuk, V., & Omarov, A. (2021). Entrepreneurship education of the formation of the e-commerce managers professional qualities. International Journal of Entrepreneurship, 25(7).
- Bazaluk, O., Ashcheulova, O., Mamaikin, O., Khorolskyi, A., Lozynskyi, V., & Saik, P. (2022). Innovative activities in the sphere of mining process management. Frontiers in Environmental Science, (10). https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2022.878977
- Bukreieva, D., Saik, P., Lozynskyi, V., Cabana, E., & Stoliarska, O. (2022). Assessing the effectiveness of innovative projects implementation in the development of coal deposits by geotechnology of underground gasification. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, (970), 012031. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/970/1/012031
- Dychkovskyi, R.O., Avdiushchenko, A.S., Falshtynskyi, V.S., & Saik, P.B. (2013). On the issue of estimation of the coal mine extraction area economic efficiency. Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (4), 107-114.
- Dvornikova, E.V. (2018). Environmental performance of underground coal gasification. Underground Coal Gasification and Combustion, 363-399. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-08-100313-8.00031-1
- Kieush, L.G., & Koveria, A.S. (2020). Analysis and Evaluation of the Nanomaterials’ Impact on the Environment. (2020). Nanosistemi, Nanomateriali, Nanotehnologii, 18(1). https://doi.org/10.15407/nnn.18.01.141
- Gorova, A., Pavlychenko, A., Kulyna, S., & Shkremetko, O. (2013). The investigation of coal mines influence on ecological state of surface water bodies. Annual Scientific-Technical Collection – Mining of Mineral Deposits 2013, 303-306. https://doi.org/10.1201/b16354-55
- Shustov, O., Pavlychenko, A., Bondarenko, A., Bielov, O., Borysovska, O., & Abdiev, A. (2021). Substantiation into parameters of carbon fuel production technology from brown coal. Materials Science Forum, (1045), 90-101. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/msf.1045.90
- Cheberiachko, S., Yavorska, O., Hridiaiev, V., & Yavorskyi, A. (2019). Studying the efficiency of a complex individual protective device. E3S Web of Conferences, (123), 01028. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201912301028
- Kacur, J., Flegner, P., Durdan, M., & Laciak, M. (2019). Model predictive control of UCG: An Experiment and Simulation Study. Information Technology and Control, 48(4), 557-578. https://doi.org/10.5755/j01.itc.48.4.23303
- Perkins, G., du Toit, E., Koning, B., & Ulbrich, A. (2013). Unconventional oil production from underground coal gasification and gas to liquids technologies. All Days. https://doi.org/10.2118/167025-ms
- Petlovanyi, M., Lozynskyi, V., Saik, P., & Sai, K. (2019). Predicting the producing well stability in the place of its curving at the underground coal seams gasification. E3S Web of Conferences, (123), 01019. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201912301019
- Krupnik, L., Yelemessov, K., Bortebayev, S., & Baskanbayeva, D. (2018). Studying fiberreinforced concrete for casting housing parts of pumps. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6(12(96)), 22027. https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.151038
- Bell, D.A., Towler, B.F., & Fan, M. (2011). Underground coal gasification. Coal Gasification and Its Applications, 101-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-8155-2049-8.10005-1
- Sarhosis, V., Kapusta, K., & Lavis, S. (2018). Underground coal gasification (UCG) in Europe: Field trials, laboratory experiments, and EU-funded projects. Underground Coal Gasification and Combustion, 129-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-08-100313-8.00005-0
- Golovchenko, A., Dychkovskyi, R., Pazynich, Y., Howaniec, N.,.Jura, B., Smolinski, A. (2020). Some aspects of the control for the radial distribution of burden material and gas flow in the blast furnace. Energies, 13(4), 13040923. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13040923
- Bondarenko, V.I., Falshtynskiy, V.S., & Dychkovskiy, R.O. (2009). Synthetic stowing of rockmass at borehole underground coal gasification (BUCG). Deep Mining Challenges: International Mining Forum, 169-177. https://doi.org/10.1201/NOE0415804288-24
- Bondarenko, V.I., Buzylo, V.I., Falshtynskiy, V.S., & Dychkovskiy, R.O. (2007). Parameters of injection fill above an underground gas generator. Technical, Technological and Economic Aspects of Thin-Seams Coal Mining, 89-95.
- Yang, X., Wagoner, J., & Ramirez, A. (2012). Monitoring of underground coal gasification. https://doi.org/10.2172/1345326
- Karabyn, V., Popovych, V., Shainoha, I., & Lazaruk, Y. (2019). Long-term monitoring of oil contamination of profile-differentiated soils on the site of influence of oil-and-gas wells in the central part of the Boryslav-Pokuttya oil-and-gasbearing area. Petroleum and Coal, 61(1), 81-89.
- Humenick, M.J. (1984). Water pollution control for underground coal gasification. Journal of Energy Engineering, 110(2), 100-112. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9402(1984)110:2(100)
- Bondarenko, V., Kovalevska, I., Symanovych, G., Sotskov, V., & Barabash, M. (2018). Geomechanics of interference between the operation modes of mine working support elements at their loading. Mining Science, (25), 219-235.
- Zhussupov, K., Toktamyssova, A., Abdullayev, S., Bakyt, G., & Yessengaliyev, M. (2018). Investigation of the Stress-Strain State of a Wheel Flange of the Locomotive by the Method of Finite Element Modeling. Mechanics, 24(2). https://doi.org/10.5755/j01.mech.24.2.17637
- Bondarenko, V., Kovalevska, I., Symanovych, H., Barabash, M., & Snihur, V. (2018). Assessment of parting rock weak zones under the joint and downward mining of coal seams. E3S Web of Conferences, (66), 03001. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/20186603001
- Berdnyk, M. (2018). The mathematic model and method for solving the Dirichlet heat-exchange problem for empty isotropic rotary body. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 168-177. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/ssp.277.168
- Małkowski, P., Niedbalski, Z., Hydzik-WiŚniewska, J. (2013). The change of structural and thermal properties of rocks exposed to high temperatures in the vicinity of designed geo-reactor. Archives of Mining Sciences, 58(2), 465-480.
- Coal gasification modeling. (2014). Industrial Coal Gasification Technologies Covering Baseline and High-Ash Coal, 129-167. https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527336913.ch05
- Berdnyk, M. (2019). Mathematic model and method for solving the heat-exchange problem in electron-beam welding of arbitrary areas. Solid State Phenomena, (291), 173-182. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/ssp.291.173
- Zholudiev, S.V. (2016). Application of groundwater for underground coal gasification and incineration. Journal of Geology, Geography and Geoecology, 24(1), 32-36.
- Inkin, O., Tishkov, V., Dereviahina, N., & Sotskov, V. (2018). Integrated analysis of geofiltrational parameters in the context of underground coal gasification relying upon calculations and modeling. E3S Web of Conferences, (60), 00035. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/20186000035
- Bazaluk, O., Lozynskyi, V., Falshtynskyi, V., Saik, P., Dychkovskyi, R., & Cabana, E. (2021). Experimental studies of the effect of design and technological solutions on the intensification of an underground coal gasification process. Energies, 14(14), 4369. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14144369
- Saik, P., Lozynskyi, V., Chemeriachko, Y., & Cabana, E. (2020). Basics of the approach formation to substantiate the temperature field distribution during experimental research on the coal gasification processes. E3S Web of Conferences, (201), 01037. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202020101037
- Dychkovskyi, R., Falshtynskyi, V., Lozynskyi, V., & Saik, P. (2015). Development the concept of borehole underground coal gasification technology in Ukraine. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 91-95. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-18
- Olness, D., & Gregg, D.W. (1977). Historical development of underground coal gasification. Technical report. Livermore, United States: California University. https://doi.org/10.2172/7284583
- Pershad, S., Pistorius, J., & van der Riet, M. (2018). Majuba underground coal gasification project. Underground Coal Gasification and Combustion, 469-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-08-100313-8.00014-1
- Wiser, W. (1975). Hydrogenation of western coal in dilute phase under medium pressures for production of liquids and gases. Final report. Utah, United States: Utah University. https://doi.org/10.2172/7192448
- Bondarenko, V., Sai, K., Ganushevych, K., & Ovchynnikov, M. (2015). The results of gas hydrates process research in porous media. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 123-127. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-23
- Phase transition dynamics in solids. (2002). Phase Transition Dynamics, 552-640. https://doi.org/10.1017/cbo9780511534874.011
- Falshtyns’kyy, V., Dychkovs’kyy, R., Lozyns’kyy, V., & Saik, P. (2013). Justification of the gasification channel length in underground gas generator. Annual Scientific-Technical Colletion - Mining of Mineral Deposits, 125-132. https://doi.org/10.1201/b16354-22
- Saik, P., Dychkovskyi, R., Falshtynskyi, V., & Lozynskyi, V. (2021). Stend dlia doslidzhennia protsesiv hazyfikatsii tverdoho palyva. Patent #148572. Ukraina.
- Krumhansl, J.A. (1963). Thermal conductivity of solids. Theory and Fundamental Research in Heat Transfer, 105-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-08-009936-1.50010-3
- Hilchuk, A.V., Chalatov, A.A., & Donyk, T.V. (2020). Teoriia teploprovidnosti: navchalnyi posibnyk. Kyiv, Ukraina: Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, 153 p.
- Kolokolov, O.V., Eyshinskiy, A.M., & Mikenberg, A.M. (1992). Matematicheskie algoritmyi termohimicheskoy geotehnologii. Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraina: DGU, 216 s.
- Dychkovskyi, R. (2015). Forming the bilayer artificially created shell of georeactor in underground coal well gasification. Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (5), 37-42.