Identifying the factors influencing the voltage quality of 6kV grids when using electric excavators in surface mining
Le Xuan Thanh1, Ho Viet Bun1
1HaNoi University of Mining and Geology, HaNoi, Vietnam
Min. miner. depos. 2022, 16(2):73-80
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. The research purpose is to study the relationship between the number of electric excavators and their impact on reducing the voltage losses. As a result of the research, it becomes possible to obtain factors that can help the manager to correctly understand the effect of power compensation caused by the over-excitation mode of electric excavators.
Methods. The paper uses the Jacobian matrix transformation to simulate the power flows of electric excavators, the driving mechanisms of which are mainly synchronous motors. The input data for the simulation is the in-situ measurement data representing the inverse power flow. A diagram and a software to determine the factors corresponding to the number of electric excavators are also provided.
Findings. A cross-reference table has been compiled showing the ratio of factors corresponding to the number of electric excavators in a 6kV grid. An appropriate software has also been developed, including a table for correcting typical equations for calculating voltage losses.
Originality. The proposed factor is conditioned by over-excitation mode of excavators operating as compensation machines in a 6kV grid.
Practical implications. When calculating the voltage loss in a 6kV grid of surface mines, if the design feeder contains electric excavators, a modified factor should be added to give a correct idea of the voltage quality.
Keywords: electric excavator, voltage quality, over-excitation mode, Jacobian matrix transformation, open-pit mining
- Vinacomin. (2021). Report on mining capacity of open-pit coal companies. Annual report. Available at: https://baoquangninh.com.vn/nang-cao-nang-luc-xuc-boc-o-cac-mo-lo-thien-3160565.html
- Vinacomin. (2016). Report on energy consumption of CocSau company. Annual report. Available at: http://vinamin.vn/modules.php?name=content&op=details&mid=1563
- Chen, Q.H., Wang, Q.F., & Wang, T. (2015). Optimization design of an interior permanent-magnet synchronous machine for a hybrid hydraulic excavator. Frontiers of Information Technology & Electronic Engineering, 16(11), 957-968. https://doi.org/10.1631/FITEE.1500056
- Chen, Q., Lin, T., & Ren, H. (2018). Direct torque control of a permanent magnet synchronous machine for hybrid hydraulic excavator. IET Electric Power Applications, 13(2), 222-228. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2018.5180
- Pavlenko, S.V. (2010). Modes of operation of main synchronous electric motors with excitation automatic control applied at open-mine excavators of Lebedinskii Redressing and processing enterprise (Lebedinskii GOK). Russian Electrical Engineering, 81(3), 131-137. https://doi.org/10.3103/S1068371210030053
- Yao, H., & Wang, Q. (2015). The control strategy for improving the stability of a powertrain for a compound hybrid power excavator. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 229(14), 1944-1958. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407015574809
- Yousuf, A.J. (2009). Modeling and simulation of a hydraulic excavator. The IUG Journal Series of Natural Studies and Engineering, 17(2).
- Ge, L., Quan, L., Zhang, X., Zhao, B., & Yang, J. (2017). Efficiency improvement and evaluation of electric hydraulic excavator with speed and displacement variable pump. Energy Conversion and Management, (150), 62-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.08.010
- Ge, L., Quan, L., Zhang, X., Huang, J., & Zhao, B. (2018). High energy efficiency driving of the hydraulic excavator boom with an asymmetric pump. Proceedings of the 11th International Fluid Power Conference, (11), 347-357.
- Ge, L., & Quan, L. (2016) Energy consumption characteristic of electric hydraulic excavator with different rotational speed. Project of Hydraulic System Design and Energy-Saving of Mobile Machine, 37(6), 588-592. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1673-3193.2016.06.007
- Ge, L., Quan, L., Zhang, X., Dong, Z., & Yang, J. (2019). Power matching and energy efficiency improvement of hydraulic excavator driven with speed and displacement variable power source. Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 32(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s10033-019-0415-x
- Babovic, B., Osmanovic, A., Saric, B. (2017). Design and simulation of hydraulic excavator manipulator system. Materials of the XVII International Scientific Conference on Industrial Systems, 108-111.
- Karyakin, A.L., & Osipov, P.A. (2013). Increased productivity with performance monitoring of the key technological indicators for power shovels and dragline by means of electric drive. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, (30), 1. https://doi.org/10.22260/ISARC2013/0101
- Mitrev, R., Janošević, D., & Marinković, D. (2017). Dynamical modelling of hydraulic excavator considered as a multibody system. Technical Gazette, 24(2), 327-338. https://doi.org/10.17559/TV-20151215150306
- Zhang, S., Minav, T., Pietola, M., Kauranne, H., & Kajaste, J. (2019). The effects of control methods on energy efficiency and position tracking of an electro-hydraulic excavator equipped with zonal hydraulics. Automation in Construction, (100), 129-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2019.01.003
- Patel, B.P., & Prajapati, J.M. (2014). Dynamics of mini hydraulic backhoe excavator: A lagrange-euler (le) approach. International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering, 8(1), 202-211.
- Yoon, J.I., Kwan, A.K., & Truong, D.Q. (2009). A study on an energy saving electro-hydraulic excavator. 2009 ICCAS-SICE, 3825-3830.
- Malafeev, S.I., & Novgorodov, A.A. (2016). Design and implementation of electric drives and control systems for mining excavators. Russian Electrical Engineering, 87(10), 560-565. https://doi.org/10.3103/S1068371216100035
- Riaz, M. (2010). Simulation of electric machines and drive system. Technical report. Retrieved from: http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/riaz/macsim/info.pdf
- Krause, P. (2017). Analysis of electric machinery. IEEE Press, 167-168.
- Kazmierkowski, M.P., Krishnan, R., & Blaabjerg, F. (2003). Control in power electronics. San Diego, United States: Academic Press, 529 p.
- Ali, A. (2020). Park and Clark transformations: A short review. Project: Variable Speed Induction Motors, 1-3. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.20287.46241
- Arrillaga, J., & Arnold, C.P. (1990). Computer analysis of power systems. New York, United States: John Wiley & Sons, 361 p. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118878309.ch4
- Zimmerman, J.D., Pelosi, M., Williamson, C.A., & Ivantysynova, M. (2007). Energy consumption of an LS excavator hydraulic system. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, (42983), 117-126. https://doi.org/10.1115/IMECE2007-42267