Evaluation of heat supply with maintaining a safe mine water level during operation of open geothermal systems in post-coalmining areas
Dmytro Rudakov1, Oleksandr Inkin1
1 Dnipro University of Technology, Dnipro, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2022, 16(1):24-31
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. Evaluation of the efficiency of open geothermal systems in flooded and drained mines of the Donetsk basin for heat supply of buildings with maintaining a safe mine water level.
Methods. Both circulation and non-return geothermal systems for the mine water heat recovery are analyzed. We proposed the energy and cost criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of open geothermal systems based on a comparison of the produced thermal energy with the energy costs for its production. The criteria use the relationships of thermodynamics, hydraulics, analytical formulas for calculation of ground water flow and methods to calculate the heat demand of indoor spaces.
Findings. The estimated ranges of thermal capacity from a few tens kW to a few MW and a coefficient of performance (COP) conversion factor of 3.5-6.8 achievable by geothermal systems for the studied closed mines of Donbas correlate well with the values of these indicators at open geothermal systems operated in different countries, which shows the technical and economic feasibility of the installation to cover local heat demands. The possibility to fully cover the needs for thermal energy is shown on the example of buildings with office spaces for staying of a few hundred people. We demonstrate how to preliminary calculate the parameters of mine water circulation with maintaining the safe level in terms of keeping the ground water quality in the areas adjacent to the mine.
Originality. The developed criteria and calculation methodology allow to realistically evaluate the parameters of the efficiency of operation for open non-return and circulation geothermal systems, taking into account mining, geological and technology conditions, to prioritize the exploration of geothermal resources in mines and to evaluate the parameters of mine water circulation with maintaining the safe mine water level.
Practical implications. The study showed the feasibility of installation and effective operation of open geothermal systems at the mines of the Donetsk basin for heat supply of buildings located in the adjacent areas with maintaining a safe mine water level.
Keywords: closed mine, mine water, drainage, thermal energy, geothermal systems
- Plakitkina, L.S., Plakitkin, Y.A., & D’yachenko, K.I. (2019). World trends of coal industry development. Mining Industry Journal, 1(143), 2-29. https://doi.org/10.30686/1609-9192-2019-1-143-24-29
- Coal atlas – Facts and figures on a fossil fuel. (2015). Berlin, Germany: Heinrich Böll Foundation & London, United Kingdom: Friends of the Earth International.
- Sadovenko, I., Inkin, O., Dereviahina, N., & Khryplyvets, Y. (2019). Actualization of prospects of thermal usage of ground-water of mines during liquidation. E3S Web of Conferences, (123), 01046. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201912301046
- Polunina, O., & Balan S. (2021). Vuhilna reforma: Kontseptsiia zminylasia. Retrieved from: https://ua.boell.org/uk/2021/01/26/vugilna-reforma-koncepciya-zminilasya
- Golubeva, Ye. (2020). Situatsiya v ugol’noy otrasli Ukrainy. Retrieved from: https://112.ua/statji/orzhel-posovetoval-detyam-shahterov-ne-idti-po-stopam-roditeley-pochemu-vlast-reshila-likvidirovat-shahty-522909.html
- LANUV NRW. (2018). Landesamt für natur, umwelt, und ver-braucherschutz nordrhein-westfahlen. potenzialstudie warmes grubenwasser – fachbericht 90. Recklinghausen, Germany, 154 p.
- Banks, D., Athresh, A., Al-Habaibeh, A., & Burnside N. (2019). Water from abandoned mines as a heat source: Practical experiences of open- and closed-loop strategies, United Kingdom. Sustainable Water Resources Management, (5), 29-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40899-017-0094-7
- Bojadgieva, K., Benderev, A., Gerginov, P., & Hristov V. (2013). The abandoned underground cherno more coal mine (SE Bulgaria) – A source of low grade geothermal energy. Comptes Rendus de l’Académie Bulgare des Sciences: Sciences Mathématiques et Naturelles, (66), 565-572. https://doi.org/10.7546/CR-2013-66-4-13101331-13
- Loredo, C., Roqueñí, N., & Ordóñez A. (2016). Modelling flow and heat transfer in flooded mines for geothermal energy use: A review. International Journal of Coal Geology, (164), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2016.04.013
- Gillespie, M.R., Cran, E.J., & Barron, H.F. (2013). Deep geo-thermal energy potential in Scotland British Geological Survey Geology and Landscape, Scotland Programme. Commissioned Report Cr/12/131, 125 p.
- Pivnyak, G.G., Samusya, V.I., & Oksen’ Yu.I. (2017) Teoriya i praktika teplonasosnoy utilizatsii teploty shakhtnoy vody. Ugol’ Ukrainy, (3), 6-10.
- Ramos, E.P., Breede, K., & Falcone G. (2015). Geothermal heat recovery from abandoned mines: a systematic review of projects implemented worldwide and a methodology for screening new projects. Environmental Earth Sciences, (73), 6783-6795. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-015-4285-y
- Sadovenko, I., Rudakov, D., Inkin, O. (2014). Geotechnical schemes to the multi-purpose use of geothermal energy and resources of abandoned mines. Progressive Technologies of Coal, Coalbed Methane, and Ores Mining, 443-450. https://doi.org/10.1201/b17547-76
- Arens, V.Z. (2001). Fiziko-khimicheskaya geotekhnologiya. Moskva, Rossiya: Izdatel’stvo Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo gornogo universiteta.
- Goncharov, S.A. (2002). Termodinamika. Moskva, Rossiya: Izdatel’stvo Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo gornogo universiteta.
- Moiseev, B.V., Zemenkov, Yu.D., Nalobin, N.V., & Zemenkova, M.Yu. (2016). Metodyi teplovogo rascheta truboprovodov razlichnogo naznacheniya. Tyumen, Rossiya: Tyumenskiy industrialnyiy universitet.
- Ishlinskiy, A.Yu. (1989). Politekhnicheskiy slovar’. Moskva, Rossiya: Sovetskaya entsiklopediya.
- Tikhomirov, A.K. (2006). Teplosnabzhenie rayona goroda. Khabarovsk, Rossiya: Izdatelstvo Tihookeanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta.
- Ni, L., Dong, J., Yao, Y., Shen, C., Qv, D., & Zhang, X. (2015). A review of heat pump systems for heating and cooling of buildings in China in the last decade. Renewable Energy, 30-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.06.043
- SNiP2.04.05-91. (1996). Heating, ventilation and air conditioning. Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Norvatov, Y.A., Petrova, I.B., Kotlov, S.N., & Saveliev, D.I. (2010). Scientific and methodological principles of the analysis and prediction of hydrogeological conditions of mine abandonment. In Materials of the International Mining Conference (pp. 597-600). Vietnam.
- Wolkersdorfer, C. (2008). Water management at abandoned flooded underground mines. Fundamentals. Tracer tests. Modelling. Water treatment. Munich, Germany: Springer, 465 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-77331-3
- Sadovenko, I., & Inkin, А. (2018). Method for stimulating under-ground coal gasification. Journal of Mining Science, 54(3), 514-521. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1062739118033941
- Mokhov, A., Khimchenko, A.G., & Selivanov, B.V. (2008). On the causes of waterlogging of the earth’s surface in mining regions (for example, Eastern Donbass). Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin, 189-195.
- Bochever, F.M., Lapshin, N.N., Oradovskaya, O.E., & Khokhlatov, E.M. (1976). Proektirovanie vodozaborov podzemnyih vod. Moskva, Rossiya: Stroyizdat.
- Ulitsky, O.A., Ermakov, V.M., Lunova, O.V., & Boyko, K.E. (2019). Prior to the assessment of the forecast of changes in the hydrogeologi-cal minds of the techno-ecosystem of the Selidivskoy group of mines. Ecological Safety and Environmental Protection, (4), 32-42. https://doi.org/10.32347/2411-4049.2019.4.32-42
- Fomin, V.O. (2015). Forecasting changes in the inflow of groundwater into the abandoned mine. Coal of Ukraine, (5), 20-24.
- DBN B.2.5-39. (2009). Thermal networks. Engineering equipment of buildings and structures. External networks and structures. Kyiv, Ukraine: Standard of the Ministry of Regional Development and Construction of Ukraine.
- Rudakov, D., Inkin, O., Dereviahina, N., & Sotskov, V. (2020). Effectiveness evaluation for geothermal heat recovery in closed mines of Donbas. E3S Web of Conferences, (201), 01008. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202020101008
- Sadovenko, I.A., Inkin, A.V., Yakubovskaya, Z.N., & Maksimova-Gulyayeva N.A. (2012). Evaluation of gas losses during storage in aquifers of the western doniets basin. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (6), 18-24.
- Rudakov, D.V., Sadovenko, I.A., Inkin, A.V., & Yakubovskaya Z.N. (2012). Modeling of heat transport in an aquifer during accumulation and extraction of thermal energy. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (1), 40-45.
- Sadovenko, I., Inkin, O., & Zagrytsenko, A. (2016). Theoretical and geotechnological fundamentals for the development of natural and man-made resources of coal deposits. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 10(4), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.15407/mining10.04.001
- Pitalenko, E.I., Artemenko, P.G., Pedchenko, S.V., & Yagmur, A.B. (2007). Vremya zatopleniya shaht: prognoz i fakt. Naukovi Pratsi UkrNDMI NAN Ukrainy, (1), 165-172.