Granulometric composition research of mine rocks as a material for backfilling the mined-out area in coal mines
Mykhailo Petlovanyi1, Dmytro Malashkevych1, Kateryna Sai1, Ievgeniia Bulat2, Vasyl Popovych3
1Dnipro University of Technology, Dnipro, 49005, Ukraine
2Prydniprovsky Scientific Center of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Dnipro, 49000, Ukraine
3Lviv State University of Life Safety, Lviv, 79007, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2021, 15(4):122-129
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. Determination of the granulometric characteristics and loosening coefficient of mine rocks formed during stope operations from undercutting the bottom rocks as a potential backfill material based on a set of mine and laboratory research.
Methods. To do research, a complex methodology is used, which includes a photographic surveying the mass of destroyed rocks from undercutting the bottom rocks in mine conditions, digital processing and determining the granulometric composition in the software package, sampling the mine rocks at the surface complex, and reconstructing the granulometric composition, similar to the full-scale mine conditions in the laboratory. Sieve analysis, laboratory balance and laboratory container are used to determine the granulometric composition and loosening coefficient.
Findings. The dependence between the granulometric composition and loosening coefficient of rocks, which increases by 33% within fractions of 0-50 mm and by 8% within fractions of 50-140 mm, has been revealed. It has been determined that the destroyed rocks in the face within fractions of 0-140 mm have a bulk density of 1.28 g/cm3, loosening coefficient of 1.7, the voidness of and the maximum reserve for the backfill mass compaction with mine rocks is 41.9%. An analytical assessment of the volumes of the formed cavities of the mined-out area in the longwall face and gobed mine workings, as well as the prospects and completeness of their filling with mine rocks have been performed.
Originality. It has been determined that the loosening coefficient of mine rocks destroyed in the stope face by KA-200 shearer changes according to the logarithmic dependence on their granulometric composition. This makes it possible to control the granulometric characteristics of the backfill material to achieve the maximum density of the backfill mass.
Practical implications. Further research can serve as a basis for determining the rational parameters for the formation and placement of backfill masses during complex-mechanized selective mining of coal seams using various methods of backfilling operations.
Keywords: mine rocks, rock undercutting, stope face, shearer, granulometric composition, loosening coefficient, underground cavities, backfill material
- Xiong, Y., Kong, D., Wang, Y., Liu, Q., & Gong, Y. (2021). Technology and performance analysis of preventing surface subsidence by sealing and backfilling the goaf with Urban waste. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-348022/v1
- Petlovanyi, М.V., Мalashkevych, D.S., & Sai, K.S. (2020). The new approach to creating progressive and low-waste mining technology for thin coal seams. Journal of Geology, Geography and Geoecology, 29(4), 765-775. https://doi.org/10.15421/112069
- Cui, X., Zhao, Y., Wang, G., Zhang, B., & Li, C. (2020). Calculation of residual surface subsidence above abandoned longwall coal mining. Sustainability, 12(4), 1528. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041528
- Ganushevych, K., Sai, K., & Korotkova, A. (2014). Creation of gas hydrates from mine methane. (2014). Progressive Technologies of Coal, Coalbed Methane, and Ores Mining, 517-522. https://doi.org/10.1201/b17547-85
- Popovych, V., Bosak, P., Petlovanyi, M., Telak, O., Karabyn, V., & Pinder, V. (2021). Environmental safety of phytogenic fields formation on coal mines tailings. Series of Geology and Technical Sciences, 2(446), 129-136. https://doi.org/10.32014/2021.2518-170x.44
- Cardoso, A.T., & Fan, F.M. (2021). A first evaluation of water resource conditions after an environmental reclamation effort at a former degraded coal mining area in Southern Brazil. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 193(10), 632. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-021-09393-4
- Zhiznin, S.Z., & Cherechukin, A.V. (2020). Factors of development and introduction of clean coal-mining technologies in the world economy. Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin, (6), 27-37. https://doi.org/10.25018/0236-1493-2020-6-0-27-37
- Barbara, A., & Sluder, L. (2019). Impact of fuel and energy complex on sustainable development of mineral extracting regions: The world experience. E3S Web of Conferences, (105), 04007. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201910504007
- Qing, G., Luo, Y., Huang, W., Wang, W., Yue, Z., Wang, J., Li, Q., Jiang, S., & Sun, S. (2021). Driving factors of energy consumption in the developed regions of developing countries: A case of Zhejiang Province, China. Atmosphere, (12), 1196. https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos12091196
- Sakhno, I., Nosach, A., & Beletskaya, L. (2015). Stress-and-strain state of rock mass around the working behind the longwall face. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 133-138. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-25
- Zhang, C., Tu, S., & Zhao, Y. (2019). Compaction characteristics of the caving zone in a longwall goaf: A review. Environmental Earth Sciences, 78(1), 27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-018-8037-7
- Malashkevych, D., Poimanov, S., Shypunov, S., & Yerisov, M. (2020). Comprehensive assessment of the mined coal quality and mining conditions in the Western Donbas mines. E3S Web of Conferences, (201), 01013. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202020101013
- Pivnyak, G.G., Pilov, P.I., Bondarenko, V.I., Surgai, N.S., & Tulub, S.B. (2005). Development of coal industry: The part of the power strategy in the Ukraine. Gornyi Zhurnal, (5), 14-17.
- Bondarenko, V.I., Griadushchiy, Y.B., Dychkovskiy, R.O., Korz, P.P., & Koval, O.I. (2007). Advanced experience and direction of mining of thin coal seams in Ukraine. Technical, Technological and Economic Aspects of Thin-Seams Coal Mining International Mining Forum 2007, 1-7.
- Regional report on the state of the environment in the Dnipropetrovsk region in 2019. (2020). Dnipro, Ukraine: Department of Ecology and Natural Resources of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional State Administration, 320 p.
- Petlovanyi, M.V., & Medianyk, V.Yu. (2018). Assessment of coal mine waste dumps development priority. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (4), 28-35. https://doi.org/10.29202/nvngu/2018-4/3
- Zhao, Y., Liu, L., Wen, D., Zhang, X., Huan, C., Zhang, B., & Wang, X. (2022). Recycling waste material for backfill coupled heat exchanger systems in underground stopes of mines. Energy and Buildings, (256), 111703. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2021.111703
- Bazaluk, O., Petlovanyi, M., Lozynskyi, V., Zubko, S., Sai, K., & Saik, P. (2021). Sustainable underground iron ore mining in Ukraine with backfilling worked-out area. Sustainability, 13(2), 834. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13020834
- Behera, S.K., Mishra, D.P., Singh, P., Mishra, K., Mandal, S.K., Ghosh, C.N., Mandal, P.K. (2021). Utilization of mill tailings, fly ash and slag as mine paste backfill material: Review and future perspective. Construction and Building Materials, (309), 125120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2021.125120
- Petlovanyi, M.V., Zubko, S.A., Popovych, V.V., & Sai, K.S. (2020). Physico-chemical mechanism of structure formation and strengthening in the backfill massif when filling underground cavities. Voprosy Khimii i Khimicheskoi Technologii, (6), 142-150. https://doi.org/10.32434/0321-4095-2020-133-6-142-150
- Mashifana, T., & Sithole, T. (2021). Clean production of sustainable backfill material from waste gold tailings and slag. Journal of Cleaner Production, (308), 127357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.127357
- Petlovanyi, M., & Mamaikin, O. (2019). Assessment of an expediency of binder material mechanical activation in cemented rockfill. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14(20), 3492-3503.
- Jiang, H., Cao, Y., Huang, P., Fang, K., & Li, B. (2015). Characterisation of coal-mine waste in solid backfill mining in China. Mining Technology, 124(1), 56-63. https://doi.org/10.1179/1743286315y.0000000002
- Zhang, J., Li, M., Taheri, A., Zhang, W., Wu, Z., & Song, W. (2019). Properties and application of backfill materials in coal mines in China. Minerals, 9(1), 53. https://doi.org/10.3390/min9010053
- Dychkovskyi, R., Shavarskyi, J., Cabana, E.C., & Smoliński, A. (2019). Characteristic of possible obtained products during the well underground coal gasification. Solid State Phenomena, (291), 52-62. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/ssp.291.52
- Petlovanyi, M, Medianyk, V., Sai, K., Malashkevych, D., & Popovych, V. (2021). Geomechanical substantiation of the parameters for coal auger mining in the protecting pillars of mine workings during thin seams development. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 16(15), 1572-1582.
- Bahri Najafi, A., Saeedi, G.R., & Ebrahimi Farsangi, M.A. (2014). Risk analysis and prediction of out-of-seam dilution in longwall mining. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, (70), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2014.04.015
- Kosarev, I.V. (2016). Innovatsionnye napravleniya v sozdanii gorno-shakhtnogo oborudovaniya, obespechivayushchego povyshenie effektivnosti dobychi uglya. Vestnik Donetskogo Natsional’nogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta, (6), 12-18.
- Zhu, X., Guo, G., Liu, H., & Yang, X. (2019). Surface subsidence prediction method of backfill-strip mining in coal mining. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 78(8), 6235-6248. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-019-01485-3
- Sokolov, A.S., & Potapov, V.V. (2014). Tekhniko-ekonomicheskaya effektivnost’ tekhnologii podzemnogo ugleobogashcheniya. Gornyy Zhurnal, (1), 42-46.
- Potapov, V.V. (2006). Tekhnologicheskie skhemy upravleniya kachestvom uglya pri podzemnoy dobyche po friktsionnym kharakteristikam. Gornyy Informatsionno-Analiticheskiy Byulleten’, (5), 193-195.
- Byzylo, V., Koshka, O., Poymanov, S., & Malashkevych, D. (2015). Resource-saving technology of selective mining with gob backfilling. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 485-491.https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-84
- Petlovanyi, M., Malashkevych, D., Sai, K., & Zubko, S. (2020). Research into balance of rocks and underground cavities formation in the coal mine flowsheet when mining thin seams. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 14(4), 66-81. https://doi.org/10.33271/mining14.04.066
- Malashkevych, D.S., Petlovanyi, M.V., & Poimanov, S.M. (2021). Sposib zakladky vyroblenoho prostoru. Patent #147810. Ukraina, 4 s.