Identifying the efficiency decrease factor of motors working under power harmornic in 660V electric mining grids
Le Xuan Thanh1, Ho Viet Bun1
1HaNoi University of Mining and Geology, HaNoi, 1000, Vietnam
Min. miner. depos. 2021, 15(4):108-113
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. Identify the motors efficiency decrease factor corresponding to various values of load-carrying ratio.
Methods. Basing on the onsite measurements of power harmonic in 660V low voltage (LV) grids in Vietnam underground mines, simulations have been done on MATLAB and compared with mathematical models. Verifying data will be implemented in Lab-measurements carried out on pumping system to reveal series of decreasing factors.
Findings. Series factors present the relation of the level of power total harmonic distortion (THD) and the decrease in motor efficiency with alternative load-carrying ratio. The factors will help mine operators to have better understanding of the power harmonics impact on 660V motors.
Originality. The proposed factors and simulation in MATLAB may be applied to all underground mining grids with diffe-rent input parameters of THD.
Practical implications. The research is implemented to identify the factors obtained from the operation of motors which work in high power harmonic environment. The resulting factors could be utilized to recalculate mining efficiency.
Keywords: mine, electric grids, harmonic, voltage, sіmulation
- VINAMCOMIN. (2019). Orientation for sustainable development of coal mining. Approved by Priminister Dicision No 403/2016/QĐ-TTg. Available at: http://www.vinacomin.vn/dinh-huong-phat-trien-ben-vung-nganh-than-viet-nam-gan-voi-dam-bao-an-ninh-nang-luong/dinh-huong-phat-trien-ben-vung-nganh-than-viet-nam-gan-voi-dam-bao-an-ninh-nang-luong-201901181507032041.htm
- IEEE 519-1992. (1992). Recommended practice and requirements for harmonics control in electrical power system. Available at: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6826459
- Arslan, E., Sakar, S., & Balci, M.E. (2014). On the no-load loss of power transformers under voltages with sub-harmonics. 2014 IEEE International Energy Conference (ENERGYCON). https://doi.org/10.1109/energycon.2014.6850433
- Ching-Yin Lee, Wei-Jen Lee, Yen-Nien Wang, & Jyh-Cherng Gu. (1998). Effects of voltage harmonics on the electrical and mechanical performance of a three-phase induction motor. 1998 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Technical Conference. Conference Record. Papers Presented at the 1998 Annual Meeting (Cat. No. 98CH36202). https://doi.org/10.1109/icps.1998.692550
- Adrian, S., Paul, P., Cristinel, H., & Mariana, M. (2012). Methodologies of measuring mechanical power delivered at the shaft of an induction motor driven by VFD. INCAS Bulletin, 4(4), 161-170. https://doi.org/10.13111/2066-8201.2012.4.4.15
- Quispe, E.C., López, I.D., Ferreira, F.J.T.E., & Sousa, V. (2018). Unbalanced voltages impacts on the energy performance of induction motors. International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (IJECE), 8(3), 1412-1422. https://doi.org/10.11591/ijece.v8i3.pp1412-1422
- Mirazamani, H.O., & Choobari, A.L. (n.d.). Study on performance of induction motors. Paper research of Sharif University.
- Elena, H., Ionel, L., & Anca, C. (2013). Impact of three-phase voltage dips on the induction motors – An experimental study. 4th International Symposium on Electrical and Electronics Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1109/iseee.2013.6674352
- Mehrdad, M., Stanek, E.K., & Jannati, A.S. (n.d.). Influence of voltage and current harmonics on behavior of electric devices, 1-15.
- Oladokun, E. Faduyile. (2009). Effect of harmonics on the efficiency of a three phase energy efficient and standard motors. PhD Thesis. Chattanooga, United States: University of Tennessee.
- Rengifo, J., Salazar, H., Bueno, A., & Aller, J. (2017). Experimental evaluation of the voltage unbalance in the efficiency of induction motors. IEEE Workshop on Power Electronics and Power Quality Applications, (3), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1109/PEPQA.2017.7981667
- Janak, P., & Kaur, R. (2014). Effect of harmonics on the performance characteristics of three phase squirrel cage induction motor. International Journal of Review in Electronics & Communication Engineering, 2(2), 77-81.
- Gandhare, W.Z., & Patil, K.D. (2013). Effects of harmonics on power loss in XPLE cables. Energy and Power Engineering, 5(4B), 1235-1239. https://doi.org/10.4236/epe.2013.54B234
- Giceva, I.Z., Sarac, V.J., Gelev, S.A., & Cingoski, V.T. (2018). Single phasing of three phase induction motors under various load conditions. 23rd International Scientific-Professional Conference on Information Technology (IT). https://doi.org/10.1109/spit.2018.8350459
- Do, N.Y., & Ngo, X.C. (2021). Influence of single phase voltage loss and Load carrying mode on mine drain pump motor in Vietmam. Journal of the Polish Mineral Engineering Society, 1(20), 341-352. https://doi.org/10.29227/IM-2021-02-31
- Gouws, R. (2011). Harmonic filtering and the effect of harmonics on induction motor efficiency. Technical Report. Southern Africa: North-West University.
- IEEE C57.110-2018. (2018). IEEE recommended practice for establishing liquid immersed and dry-type power and distribution transformer capability when supplying nonsinusoidal load currents. https://doi.org/10.1109/IEEESTD.2018.8511103