Reliability and maintainability of scraper conveyor used in coal mining in the Jiu Valley
Vlad Alexandru Florea1, Dragos Pasculescu1, Vlad Mihai Pasculescu2
1University of Petrosani, Petrosani, 332006, Romania
2National Institute for Research and Development in Mine Safety and Protection to Explosion – INSEMEX, Petrosani, 332047, Romania
Min. miner. depos. 2021, 15(3):16-21
Full text (PDF)
Purpose.The aim of the study is to determine and analyse causes of faults in the operation of TR-7A scraper conveyor and to estimate the required time for their remediation and select the methods of their prevention and elimination.
Methods. The characteristic of a system, such as the scraper conveyor, intended to fulfil its specified function in time and operation conditions, can be studied, theoretically, by determining its operational reliability. This implies the existence of a framework that incorporates several interconnected components of technical, operational, commercial and management nature. The quantitative expression of reliability was based on elements of mathematical probability theory and statistics (exponential distribution law), failure and repair mechanism not being subject to certain laws.
Findings. The following TR-7A subassemblies, if defective, could have been the cause of a failure: chains, hydraulic couplings, chain lifters, drive, return drums, some electrical equipment. After 28 months of monitoring the TR-7A operation, we have established the number of failures (defects) ni, the operating time between failures ti, frequency of failures fc, time to repair tri, weight repair time pr, mean time between failures (MTBF), mean time to repair (MTR).
Originality.Data collection and processing involves the adoption of specific procedures to allow the correct highlighting of the causes and frequency of failures. The accomplishment of this approach allowed finding the solutions for increasing reliability of some subassemblies of TR-7A conveyor (i.e., those subjected to abrasive wear).
Practical implications.One solution was to use materials with compositional and functional gradient in the case of worn surfaces of some subassemblies. It was successfully applied for the chain lifters where a significant increase in the mean time between failures was obtained. The field of application of these materials can be extended to the metal subassemblies of machines and equipment with abrasion wear that occurs both in underground mines and in quarries.
Keywords:conveyor, exponential distribution law, multilayer structure, recondition, reliability, wear
- Qu, D.R., Qiao, T.Z., Pang, Y.S., Yang, Y., & Zhang, H.T. (2021). Research on ADCN method for damage detection of mining conveyor belt. IEEE Sensors Journal, 21(6), 8662-8669.
- Yang, X.W., Chen, H.Y., Mao, J., & Wei, Y.J. (2020). Dynamical behavior of coal shearer traction-swing coupling under corrected loads. Scientific Reports, 10(1), 8630. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-65184-w
- Morshedlou, A., Dehghani, H., & Hoseinie, S.H. (2019). A data driven decision making approach for long-wall mining production enhancement. Mining Science, (26), 7-20. https://doi.org/10.37190/msc192601
- Jiang, S.B., Zeng, Q.L., Wang, G., Gao, K.D., Wang, Q.Y., & Hidenori, K. (2018). Contact analysis of chain drive in scraper conveyor based on dynamic meshing properties. International Journal of Simulation Modelling, 17(1), 81-91. https://doi.org/10.2507/ijsimm17(1)418
- Tomus, O.B., Andras, A., & Magyari M. (2017). Study on the reliability of the underground conveyor belt system installed at Vulcan Mine, the Jiu Valley Basin in Romania. MATEC Web of Conferences, (121), 01016. https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201712101016
- Pana, L., Grabara, J., Pasculescu, D., Pasculescu, V.M., & Moraru, R.I. (2018). Optimal quality management algorithm for assessing the usage capacity level of mining transformers. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 18(2), 233-244. https://doi.org/10.17512/pjms.2018.18.2.19
- Pasculescu, V.M., Vlasin, N.I., Florea, D., & Suvar, M.C. (2017). Improving the quality of the process for selecting electrical equipment intended to be used in potentially explosive atmospheres. Quality – Access to Success, 18(S1), 97-102.
- Pasculescu, V.M., Pricop, D.G., Morar, M.S., & Florea V.A. (2015). Research on the development of an expert system for selecting technical equipment intended to be used in potentially explosive atmospheres. International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference-SGEM, Exploration and Mining, (I), 291-298. https://doi.org/10.5593/SGEM2015/B21/S7.036
- Florea, V.A., & Loga, W. (2013). Posibilities to increase the operating safety and the reliability of mining technological equipments. International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference-SGEM, Exploration and Mining, (I), 579-586. https://doi.org/10.5593/SGEM2013/BA1.V1/S03.047
- Florea, V.A. (2016). Reliability analysis equipment for cutting and transportation in case of a mining flux technology. International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference-SGEM, Exploration and Mining, (II), 719-725. https://doi.org/10.5593/SGEM2016/B12/S03.094
- Lozynskyi, V., Medianyk, V., Saik, P., Rysbekov, K., & Demydov, M. (2020). Multivariance solutions for designing new levels of coal mines. Rudarsko Geolosko Naftni Zbornik, 35(2), 23-32. https://doi.org/10.17794/rgn.2020.2.3
- Petlovanyi, M., Lozynskyi, V., Zubko, S., Saik, P., & Sai, K. (2019). The influence of geology and ore deposit occurrence conditions on dilution indicators of extracted reserves. Rudarsko Geolosko Naftni Zbornik, 34(1), 83-91. https://doi.org/10.17794/rgn.2019.1.8
- Mustafin, S.A., Duisen, G.M., Zeinullin, A.A., & Korobova, E.V. (2019). Evaluation of the choice of borrower rating groups. News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 6(438). https://doi.org/10.32014/2019.2518-170X.166
- Beshta, O.S. (2012). Electric drives adjustment for improvement of energy efficiency of technological processes. Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, (4), 98-107.
- Wang, X., Yang, J., Quan, L., Zhang, K., & Wang, J. (2018). A novel high-efficiency wheel loader power steering system with fault-tolerant capability. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 67(10), 9273-9283. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2018.2856933
- Bajda, M., Błażej, R., & Jurdziak, L. (2019). Analysis of changes in the length of belt sections and the number of splices in the belt loops on conveyors in an underground mine. Engineering Failure Analysis, (101), 436-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2019.04.003
- Niculescu, T., Pasculescu, D., Pasculescu, V.M., & Stoica, I.O. (2014). Evaluation of electrical parameters of intrinsic safety barriers of the electrical equipment intended to be used in atmospheres with explosion hazard. International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference Surveying Geology and Mining Ecology Management, 1(2), 169-176. https://doi.org/10.5593/SGEM2014/B21/S7.022
- Popescu, F.G., Pasculescu, D., Marcu, M.D., & Pasculescu, V.M. (2020). Analysis of current and voltage harmonics introduced by the drive systems of a bucket wheel excavator. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 14(4), 40-46. https://doi.org/10.33271/mining14.04.040