Analyzing mechanics of rock breaking under conditions of hydromechanical drilling
1Dnipro University of Technology, Dnipro, 49005, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2021, 15(3):122-129
Full text (PDF)
Purpose is to substantiate design factors and technological parameters of next-generation facilities of hydromechanical drilling basing upon the determined features of interaction between breaking pellets and rock mass.
Methods. The studies of directionality features and bottomhole processes for rock mass breaking have been carried out using the current analytical methods and laboratory experiments. Among other things, certain mathematical and physical simulation techniques, methods of theoretical processing and interpretation of the research results under SolidWorks, Statgraphics, and Маthсаd environments, and a number of relevant instruments and materials have been applied. Following their technological sequence, the well bottomhole rock-breaking processes were simulated using a special laboratory stand equipped with a control-and-measuring unit (inclusive of a flowmeter, manometer, tachometer, and coordinate spacer among other things).
Findings. Application perspectiveness of the combined techniques for rock breaking has been proved. Structural designs of the next-generation facilities for well drilling have been proposed. The pellet-impact drilling features have been analyzed from the viewpoint of its significant dynamic component during the rock mass breaking. Nature of the effect of breaking load rate on the results of bottomhole deformation processes has been identified. Efficiency of the proposed scheme to improve pellet-impact drilling based upon maximum use of a well bottomhole deformed by pellets has been proved. Measures to increase technical and technological indicators of pellet drilling have been considered. Requirements for the conditions stabilizing operation of a collar of the pellet-impact device have been outlined. Further research tendencies have been specified.
Originality. It has been determined that compliance with specific geometrical and hydromechanical ratios, corresponding to the stable mode of a well sinking, is the factor required for reliable operation of hydromechanical drilling facilities.
Practical implications. The results of stand-based tests as well as analytical studies may become the foundations to develop efficient engineering decision for hydromechanical well drilling with high technical and economic indicators. The data, concer-ning bottomhole rock breaking processes, are the basic ones to work out rational standard parameters of well sinking processes.
Keywords:well, drilling, bottomhole, rotational velocity, penetration rate
- Lopez, J.C., Lopez, J.E., & Javier, F. (2017). Drilling and blasting of rocks. London, United Kingdon: CRC Press Taylor & Francis.
- Azar, J.J., & Robello, S.G. (2007). Drilling engineering. Tulsa, United States: PennWell Books.
- Hossain, M.E., & Islam, M.R. (2018). Drilling engineering: Problems and solutions. Beverly, United States: Scrivener Publishing.https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118998632
- Tretiak, А.А., Burenkov, N.N., & Chikhotkin, А.V. (2013). Rezhushchaia chast dolota PDC optimizatsiia geometricheskikh parametrov. Oil and Gas Journal, (5), 56-58.
- Ihnatov, A., Koroviaka, Y., Rastsvietaiev, V., & Tokar, L. (2021). Development of the rational bottomhole assemblies of the directed well drilling. E3S Web of Conferences, (230), 01016. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202123001016
- Zhang, Z.X. (2016). Rock fracture and blasting. Theory and applications. London, United States: Elsevier.https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-802688-5.00003-8
- Robello, S.G., & Xiushan, L. (2009). Advanced drilling engineering. Houston, United States: Gulf Publishing Company.
- Tretiak, А.А., Savenok, О.V., Grossu, А.N., & Borisov, К.А. (2015). Novoe dvukhieiarusnoe doloto rezhushchego tipa. Oil and Gas Journal, (5), 50-53.
- Ihnatov, A.A. (2020). Do pytannia vyznachennia vybiinykh robochykh kharakterystyk prystroiv hidromekhanichnoho burinnia. Tooling materials Science, (23), 78-88.
- Bellin, F. (2010). The current state of PDC bit technology. World Oil, (9), 41-42.
- Davidenko, A., & Ihnatov, A. (2013). Abrazivno-mehanicheskoe udarnoe burenie skvazhin. Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraina: Natsionalnyi Gornyi Universitet.
- Hossain, M.E., & Al-Majed, A.A. (2015). Fundamentals of sustainable drilling engineering. Beverly, United States: Scrivener publishing.https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119100300
- Kovalev, А., Ryabchikov, S., Aliev, F., Yakushev, D., & Gorbenko, V. (2015). Problemyi gidrodinamicheskih sposobov bureniya skvazhin i osnovnyie napravleniya dlya ih resheniya. Bulletin of the Tomsk Polytechnic University, 326(3), 6-12.
- Gatlin, C. (1960). Petroleum engineering: Drilling and well completions. New York, United States: Prentice-Hall, INC, Englewood Cliffs.
- Ihnatov, A., & Viatkin, S. (2013). Impact drill for well drilling. Patent No. 102707. Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Ihnatov, A. (2016). Device for shot drilling. Patent No. 111350. Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Moisyshyn, V., Borysevych, B., & Sheherbiy, R. (2013). Mulifactorial mathematical model of mechanical drilling speed. Annual Scientific-Technical Collection – Mining of Mineral Deposits, 359-368.https://doi.org/10.1201/b16354-65
- Mysliuk, М.А. (2010). Modeliuvannia pryiniattia tekhnolohichnykh rishen u burinni. Oil and Gas Industry, (3), 11-15.
- Curry, G.L., & Feldman, R.M. (2012). Manufacturing systems. Modeling and analysis. Berlin, Germany: Springer.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-16618-1
- Datta, S., & Davim, J.P. (2019). Optimization in industry. Berlin, Germany: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-01641-8
- Hossain, M.E. (2016). Fundamentals of drilling engineering. Beverly, United States: Scrivener Publishing.https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119083931
- Vaddadi, N. (2015). Introduction to oil well drilling. New York, United States: Bathos.
- Davidenko, A.N., Ratov, B.T., Pashchenko, A.A., & Ihnatov, A.A. (2018). Vliyaniye gidrostaticheskogo davleniya na udarnoye abrazivno-mekhanicheskoye bureniye skvazhin Almaty, Kazakhstan: Caspian Public University.
- Speight, J.G. (2018). Formulas and calculations for drilling operations. Beverly, United States: Scrivener Publishing.https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119083689
- Gabolde, G., & Nguyen, J.P. (2006). Drilling. Paris, France: Editions Technips publishing.
- Tretiak, А.А., Sysoev, N.I., & Burenkov N.N. (2012). Raschet konstruktivnykh parametrov burovykh koronok armirovannykh PDC. Oil and Gas Journal, (5,) 66-69.
- Kovalyov, A.V., Ryabchikov, S.Ya., Isaev, Ye.D., Aliev, F.R., Gorbenko, M.V., & Strelnikova, A.B. (2015). Designing the ejector pellet impact drill bit for hard and tough rock drilling. IOP Conferense Series: Earth and Environmental Science, (24), 20-20.https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/24/1/012016
- Nguyen, J.P. (1996). Drilling. Oil and gas field development techniques. Paris, France: Editions Technips publishing.
- Rabia, H. (1986). Oilwell drilling engineering: Principles and practice. Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Uvakov, A. (1969). Sharostruynoe burenie. Moskva, Rossiya: Nedra.