Methods for intensification of borehole uranium mining at the fields with low filtration characteristics of ores
Zhiger Kenzhetaev1, Marzhan Nurbekova2, Kuanysh Togizov1, Moldir Abdraimova2, Bakytzhan Toktaruly1
1Satbayev University, Almaty, 50013, Kazakhstan
2Kazakh National Women’s Teacher Training University, Almaty, 50000, Kazakhstan
Min. miner. depos. 2021, 15(3):95-101
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. Improving the efficiency of borehole uranium mining and the selection of special decolmating solutions to improve the filtration characteristics of the seam due to effective destruction, as well as by preventing the sedimentation in the productive horizon, depending on the mineralogical composition and structure of sediment-forming materials.
Methods. The advantages and disadvantages of the main methods used for improving the filtration characteristics of the productive horizon, when mining the uranium deposits by the borehole method, have been studied. Samples of sedimentation from the productive horizon are taken at the uranium deposit of the Shu-Syrasu depression. The quantitative and qualitative parameters, as well as the peculiarities of the mineral compositions have been determined by the X-ray phase method. A methodology has been developed and laboratory experiments have been conducted on the treatment of sedimentation samples by the drop method using various compositions of selected decolmating solutions. The microscopic method is used to determine the structure and peculiarities of sedimentation before and after treatment with various decolmating solutions.
Findings. The effectiveness of the main methods used to improve the filtration characteristics of seams in the uranium deposits, mined by the borehole method, has been determined. The structure and composition of sedimentation, which causes a decrease in the filtration characteristics of the productive horizon, have been determined. To destroy and prevent the sedimentation in the productive horizon, an effective composition of a special decolmating solution using ammonium hydrogen fluoride with the addition of sulphuric acid and surfactants has been selected. An effective method for increasing the filtration characteristics of the productive horizon with the use of special decolmating solutions has been developed and scientifically substantiated.
Originality. The use of special decolmating solutions based on ammonium hydrogen fluoride with the addition of sulphuric acid and surfactants according to the developed methodology allows to effectively destroy and prevent sedimentation in the productive horizon of borehole uranium ore mining.
Practical implications. The use of the developed decolmating solution and a special methodology for the intensification of borehole uranium mining can reduce the operating costs of its production. This increases the ecological and industrial safety of the work to intensify the leaching of uranium ores.
Keywords:borehole mining, sedimentation, decolmating, intensification, X-ray phase method, microscopic test
- Khawassek, Y., Taha, M., & Eliwa, A. (2016). Kinetics of leaching process using sulfuric acid for Sella uranium ore material, South Eastern Desert, Egypt. International Journal of Nuclear Energy Science and Engineering, 6(0), 62-73. https://doi.org/10.14355/ijnese.2016.06.006
- Litvinenko, V.G., Sheludchenko, V.G., & Filonenko, V.S. (2018). Improvement of agitation leaching of uranium ore. Gornyi Zhurnal, (7), 69-72. https://doi.org/10.17580/gzh.2018.07.13
- Marchand, O., Zhang, J., & Cherubini, M. (2018). Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis in reactivity-initiated accident fuel modeling: synthesis of organisation for economic co-operation and development (OECD)/nuclear energy agency (NEA) benchmark on reactivity-initiated accident codes phase-II. Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 50(2), 280-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2017.12.007
- Chen, J., Zhao, Y., Song, Q., Zhou, Z., & Yang, S. (2018). Exploration and mining evaluation system and price prediction of uranium resources. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 12(1), 85-94. https://doi.org/10.15407/mining12.01.085
- Mataev, M.M., Rakishev, B.R., & Kenzhetaev., G.S. (2017). The impact of ammonium bifluoride complex on colmataging formations during the process of in situ uranium leaching. International Journal of Advanced Research, 5(2), 147-154. https://doi.org/10.21474/ijar01/3126
- Rakishev, B.R., Mataev, M.M., & Kenzhetaev, Z.S. (2019). Analysis of mineralogical composition of sediments in in-situ leach mining of uranium. Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin, (7), 123-131. https://doi.org/10.25018/0236-1493-2019-07-0-123-131
- Aben, E.K., Rustemov, S.T., Bakhmagambetova, G.B., & Akhmetkha-nov, D. (2019). Enhancement of metal recovery by activation of leaching solution. Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin, (12), 169-179. https://doi.org/10.25018/0236-1493-2019-12-0-169-179
- Yusupov, K.A., Elzhanov, E.A., Aliev, S.B., & Dzhakupov, D.A. (2017). Application of ammonium bifluoride for chemical treatment of wells in underground uranium leaching. Gornyi Zhurnal, 57-60. https://doi.org/10.17580/gzh.2017.04.11
- Gorbatenko, O.A. (2017). Remontno-vosstanovitel’nye raboty na geotekhnologicheskikh skvazhinakh predpriyatiy PSV urana. Almaty, Kazakhstan: NAK Kazatomprom, 194 s.
- Molchanov, A.A., & Demekhov, Yu.V. (2014). Povyshenie effektivnosti dobychi urana iz mestorozhdeniy gidrogennogo tipa, razrabatyvaemykh metodom podzemnogo skvazhinnogo vyshchelachivaniya Respubliki Kazakhstan (na primere mestorozhdeniya vostochnyy Mynkuduk). Aktual’nye Problemy Uranovoy Promyshlennosti, 92-98.
- Nikitina, Yu.G., Poyezzhayev, I.P., & Myrzabek, G.A. (2019). Improvement of opening schemes of wellfields to optimize the cost of mining uranium. Gornyi Vestnik Uzbekistana, (1), 6-11.
- Alikulov, S.S., Sobirov, Z., & Khaidarova, M.E. (2018). Research and implementation of the methods of limiting the diffluence of product solutions and the intensification of underground leaching workflows. Gornyi Zhurnal, (3), 100-106. https://doi.org/10.21440/0536-1028-2018-3-100-106
- Uralbekov, B., Burkitbayev, M., & Satybaldiev, B. (2015). Evaluation of the effectiveness of the filtration leaching for uranium recovery from uranium ore. Chemical Bulletin of Kazakh National University, (3), 22-27. https://doi.org/10.15328/cb656
- Lachab, P., Cathelineaua, M., Brouandc, M., & Fiet, N. (2015). In-situ isotopic and chemical study of pyrite from Chu-Sarysu (Kazakhstan) roll-front uranium deposit. Procedia Earth and Planetary Science, (13) 207-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeps.2015.07.049
- Yussupov, Kh., Aben, Ye., Omirgali, A., & Rakhmanberdiyev, A. (2021). Analyzing a denitration process in the context of underground well uranium leaching. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 15(1), 127-133. https://doi.org/10.33271/mining15.01.127
- Zeng, S., Zhang, N., Zhang, S., Sun, B., Tan, K., Duan, X., & Du, X. (2019). Fractal characteristics of uranium-bearing sandstone structure and their effects on acid leaching. Energy Science & Engineering, 7(5), 1852-1866. https://doi.org/10.1002/ese3.396
- Tang, S.B., Huang, R.Q., Wang, S.Y., Bao, C.Y., & Tang, C.A. (2017). Study of the fracture process in heterogeneous materials around boreholes filled with expansion cement. International Journal of Solids and Structures, (112), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2017.03.002
- Omarbekov, Y., & Yussupov, K. (2020). Improving the technology of uranium mining under the conditions of high groundwater pressure. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 14(3), 112-118. https://doi.org/10.33271/mining14.03.112