Improvement of safety management system at the mining enterprises of Ukraine
Borys Kobylianskyi1, Hanna Mуkhalchenko1
1Teaching and Research Professional Pedagogical Institute Ukrainian Engineering and Pedagogical Academy, Bakhmut, 84500, Ukraine
Min. miner. depos. 2020, 14(2):34-42
Full text (PDF)
Purpose. Search for ways and their analysis to improve the safety of mining operations at coal mines in case of inadequate perception of risks or deliberate violation of occupational safety.
Methods. An integrated approach is used in the work, which involves: analysis and generalization of previously performed research into the miners’ injuries during underground mining of minerals; analysis of the occupational safety management system; mathematical statistics methods; experiments planning in the questionnaires and expert groups development; expert assessment method.
Findings. After analysis of the modern methods for the occupational safety system management, three main groups of factors leading to injury have been revealed. The ways to impact on injury factors are outlined. The objective of research has been formulated – identify the distinguishing features of the safety system at coal enterprises in case of inadequate perception of risks or deliberate violation of occupational safety, as well as development of the conceptual solutions to improve the safety system. A conceptual management graph has been created after summarizing the existing approaches to safety management. The actions have been analysed according to the developed graph through substitution into it of factors from the “staff-machine-environment” system during their pairwise interactions. The analysis of actions according to the safety management graph, performed by the reconstruction method indicates that the existing safety management system can be improved for specified conditions. It is proposed to improve the safety system by introducing a “smart-protection” system, which is triggered at the stage of hazards identification, increasing the decision-making adequacy.
Originality.Improving the safety system in case of inadequate perception of risks or deliberate violation of occupational safety is achieved by introducing new sensors into the system, increasing the systems response speed, changing the principle of their operation, as well as improving installation schemes through analysis of devices, principles of processing information and making decisions.
Practical implications.The developed aerogas method of controlling the coal mines atmosphere can be used in case of inadequate perception of risks or deliberate violation of occupational safety. It complies with the proposed principles of “smart protection” and includes continuous monitoring for the mine atmosphere parameters.
Keywords: orate of injuries, fatality, labour conditions safety, human factor, smart protection
- Verma, S., & Chaudhari, S. (2016). Highlights from the literature on risk assessment techniques adopted in the mining industry: A review of past contributions, recent developments and future scope. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 26(4), 691-702.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2016.05.023
- Donoghue, A.M. (2004). Occupational health hazards in mining: an overview. Occupational Medicine, 54(5), 283-289. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqh072
- Nalisko, M., Sobolev, V., Rudakov, D., & Bilan, N. (2019). Assessing safety conditions in underground excavations after a methane-air mixture explosion. E3S Web of Conferences, (123), 01008. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201912301008
- Małkowski, P. (2017). Management of mining hazard monitoring. Inzynieria Mineralna, (2), 215-224.
- Pivnyak, G., Razumny, Y., & Zaika, V. (2009). The problems of power supply and power saving in the mining industry of Ukraine. Archives of Mining Sciences, 54(1), 5-12.
- Cheberyachko, S., Yavors’ka, O., & Morozova, T. (2012). Analysis of test methods of determining antidust respirator quality. Geomechanical Processes During Underground Mining, 123-126. https://doi.org/10.1201/b13157-22
- Brune, J.F., Grubb, J.W., Bogin, G.E., Marts, J.A., Gilmore, R.C., & Saki, S.A. (2016). Lessons learned from research about methane explosive gas zones in coal mine gobs. International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering, 7(2), 155. https://doi.org/10.1504/ijmme.2016.076498
- Majkherchik, T., Gajko, G.I., Malkowski, P. (2002). Deformation process around a heading investigation when front of longwall face advancing. Ugol, (11), 27-29.
- Cheberiachko, S., Yavors’ka, O., Radchuk, D., & Yavorskyi, A. (2018). Respiratory protection provided by negative pressure half mask filtering respirators in coal mines. Solid State Phenomena, (277), 232-240. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/ssp.277.232
- Zhao, J., & Creedy, D. (2008). Sustainable coal sector development – high level forum. NDRC-World Bank PPT presentation. Beijing, China.
- Zhang, Y., Jing, L., Bai, Q., Liu, T., & Feng, Y. (2018). A systems approach to extraordinarily major coal mine accidents in China from 1997 to 2011: an application of the HFACS approach. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 25(2), 181-193. https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2017.1415404
- Sribna, Y., Trokhymets, O., Nosatov, I., & Kriukova, I. (2019). The globalization of the world coal market – contradictions and trends. E3S Web of Conferences, (123), 01044. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201912301044
- Zhang, M., Li, T., Wang, H.Q., Wang, H.F., Chen, S.Y. Du, X.Y., Qin, J., Zhang, S., Ji, L.Y. (2006). Characterization of severe acute occupational poisoning accidents related to asphyxiating gases in China between 1989 and 2003. Chinese Journal of Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Diseases, 24(12), 712-715.
- Sakhno, I., Sakhno, S., Isaienkov, O., & Kurdiumow, D. (2019). Laboratory studies of a high-strength roof bolting by means of self-extending mixtures. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 13(2), 17-26. https://doi.org/10.33271/mining13.02.017
- Sakhno, I., Nosach, A., & Beletskaya, L. (2015). Stress-and-strain state of rock mass around the working behind the longwall face. New Developments in Mining Engineering 2015: Theoretical and Practical Solutions of Mineral Resources Mining, 133-138. https://doi.org/10.1201/b19901-25
- Dychkovskyi, R., Vladyko, O., Maltsev, D., Cabana, E. (2018). Some aspects of the compatibility of mineral mining technologies. Rudarsko-Geološko-Naftni Zbornik, 33(4), 73-82. https://doi.org/10.31474/1999-981x-2017-2-71-79
- Czaja, P., & Kwaśniewski, K. (2016), Polish coal, energy and environment – chances and dangers. Rocznik Ochrona Srodowiska, 18(2), 38-60.
- Dubiński, J. (2013). Sustainable development of mining mineral resources. Journal of Sustainable Mining, 12(1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.7424/jsm130102
- Shashenko, O., Shapoval, V., Khalymendyk, O., Andrieiev, V., Arbuzov, M., Hubar, O., & Markul, R. (2019). Features of the nonlinear calculation of the stress-strain state of the “Rock massif-excavation support” system taking into account destruction. Transport Means – Proceedings of the International Conference, 1356-1363.
- Mishra, B., & Mishra, S. (2014). Mining and industrialisation: Dangerous portents. Economic and Political Weekly, (14), 56-65
- Geenen, S. (2012). A dangerous bet: The challenges of formalizing artisanal mining in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Resources Policy, 37(3), 322-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resourpol.2012.02.004
- Hinze, J., & Gambatese, J. (2003). Factors that influence safety performance of specialty contractors. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 129(2), 159-164. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2003)129:2(159)
- Haslam, R.A., Hide, S.A., Gibb, A.G.F., Gyi, D.E., Pavitt, T., Atkinson, S., & Duff, A.R. (2005). Contributing factors in construction accidents. Applied Ergonomics, 36(4), 401-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2004.12.002
- Rasmussen, J. (1997). Risk management in a dynamic society: a modelling problem. Safety Science, 27(2-3), 183-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0925-7535(97)00052-0
- Nehrii, Т.O. (2018). Substantiation and development of measures for reduction of occupational injuries in technological zones of longwall. PhD Thesis. Pokrovsk, Donetsk: Donetsk National Technical University.
- Tixier, A.J.-P., Hallowell, M.R., Albert, A., van Boven, L., & Kleiner, B.M. (2014). Psychological antecedents of risk-taking behavior in construction. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 140(11), 04014052. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000894
- Fang, D., Zhao, C., & Zhang, M. (2016). A cognitive model of construction workers’ unsafe behaviors. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 142(9), 04016039. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0001118
- Albert, A., Hallowell, M.R., Kleiner, B., Chen, A., & Golparvar-Fard, M. (2014). Enhancing construction hazard recognition with high-fidelity augmented virtuality. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 140(7), 04014024. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000860
- Behm, M., & Schneller, A. (2013). Application of the Loughborough construction accident causation model: a framework for organizational learning. Construction Management and Economics, 31(6), 580-595.https://doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2012.690884
- Goh, Y.M., & Chua, D.K.H. (2010). Case-based reasoning approach to construction safety hazard identification: adaptation and utilization. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 136(2), 170-178. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000116
- Rozenfeld, O., Sacks, R., Rosenfeld, Y., & Baum, H. (2010). Construction job safety analysis. Safety Science, 48(4), 491-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2009.12.017
- Mitropoulos, P., Abdelhamid, T.S., & Howell, G.A. (2005). Systems model of construction accident causation. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 131(7), 816-825. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2005)131:7(816)
- Mineev, S.P. (2018). About the methane explosion in the Novodonetska mine. Geotechnical Mechanics, (138), 137-149.
- Gryadushiy, B.A., Mineev, S.P., Yashchenko, I.A., Kholod, A.I., & Belikov, I.B. (2017). About the accident that occurred at the Stepova mine. Ukraine Coal, (6), 48-53.
- Sakhno, S., Kobylianskyi, B., & Sakhno, I. (2016). Destruction of rocks by the non-explosive depleting compounds during mining. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 10(1), 25-30. https://doi.org/10.15407/mining10.01.025
- Kobilyansky, B., Mikhalchenko, G., & Zaluzhna, G. (2018). Method of control of methane content in mine atmosphere. Patent No. 129257, Ukraine.